Full Foot Vs Strap Heel Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only place I use full foot fins is in the pool with a class.

It's easy enough to use open heel fins with a tropical bootie in warm water. Makes walking anywhere much much easier and safer.

Do you guys put the boots in or outta your wetsuit??? I wear them in, any prefrences.

Boots inside the wetsuit. It's more streamlined that way.

kidspot:
I switched from full foot to open heel a few months ago - found the open heel much easier to get on and off, plus I had difficulty finding full foot fins that fit me (size 13 feet) so the ones I had were hard to get on because they were so tight. Open heel were also very adventagous because I can wear boots across the lava rocks on my way down to the water. As far as leg power - it took my legs about 2 weeks of regular snorkeling with them (SP jet fins) to get accustomed to them.

Tim
nice to see someone with the same problem. I have a size 14w and it is impossible to find full foot fins that fit.

I have to put my boots outside, my wetsuit has stirrups that go under the heel. I found this caused water to get trapped inside the legs when I got out of the water, so I punched 4 holes in each leg just above boot level so they could drain once out of the water.

Tim

freediver:
nice to see someone with the same problem. I have a size 14w and it is impossible to find full foot fins that fit.
So what did you end up getting for open heel fins? Turtles or XXL Jets maybe? (I have a pair of both, great fins all around, but I wear the jets almost exclusively because they are a little stiffer than the Turtles - I keep the Turtles for friends to wear and try out)

Tim

kidspot:
So what did you end up getting for open heel fins? Turtles or XXL Jets maybe? (I have a pair of both, great fins all around, but I wear the jets almost exclusively because they are a little stiffer than the Turtles - I keep the Turtles for friends to wear and try out)

Tim

I have a couple pair of Volos and Quattros, H2Odyssey's F 14's and Sporasub and C4 long blades for freediving.

freediver:
I have a couple pair of Volos and Quattros, H2Odyssey's F 14's and Sporasub and C4 long blades for freediving.
LOL - I should have guessed by your name "freedive" I enjoy freediving, but I'm still at the shallow end, never going past 40ft. Though I'm working to extend that to 50 eventually. Being new to scuba I'm really enjoying the long bottom times with the fish.

Tim

kidspot:
LOL - I should have guessed by your name "freedive" I enjoy freediving, but I'm still at the shallow end, never going past 40ft. Though I'm working to extend that to 50 eventually. Being new to scuba I'm really enjoying the long bottom times with the fish.

Tim

I can understand wanting the longer bottom times. By the way, I am trying to drum up some interest in a freedive forum, then we can share ideas to get most everyone to 50 feet (disclaimer: this is not a guarantee! :wink: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom