:) Fun question : How deep have you gone on single tank ? What's your record ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I recently dropped to 45m on EAN28 to see the transom of the forest city in Tobermory. We dropped down, looked, and finished the dive at around 30m continuing slowly up the wreck. It is not uncommon for wrecks to be at 40m plus here. My buddy and I of course dive with redundant air.

Ok. But going to those depths on air is pushing the limit of safety with narcosis. Nitrox at those depths offers you marginal benefits on the narcosis front and you up your ppO2 to marginally dangerous levels..
EAN28 at 40m should give you <1.4 ppO2 and an EAD of 36m?
Thats 60% extra bottom time and within the recommended max ppO2. Wouldnt call that "marginal".
Then of course the question is wether the tank volume and your consumption allow you to actually get down, stay there and get back up safely..

165 with an Al80(was there only 2 minutes to take a pic of a concrete cross dropped on the wall)-------Boat dropped us just outside Inn of Last Resort Roatan @ Hole in Wall dive site.....2 sons & myself made it, actually came back in thru the Lagoon there & made ~ 1 hr dive out of it......

Was made without a computer(late '90's)---no telling what it would have told us....:)

Notice how I am staying out of this one :angel:

N

Nine-minute bottom time at 140 feet with an AL100

Did the rock-bottom math before the dive, realized I needed to switch from an AL80 to an AL100.

While doing my AOW we did a dive with a AL 80 to 100' for about 2 min.
It was immediately afterward I purchased a 30 cf pony tank.
About one year later we were in doubles crawling our way into advanced training and dives.
I dive singles rarely only for training OW and switch to doubles for anything past OW training.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Right after I was certified my family and I did a trip to San Pedro/Ambergris. My daughter was a Jr. Scuba Diver at the time, with a recommended max depth of 40'...I was OW. We were both newbs. After a couple of 50-60' dives, we started going to deeper sites. 87', 103', 107', 96', 101'....All on AL80s.

We didn't know what we didn't know, but we stuck to our SPGs like glue, used thirds, and stuck close to each other. Still do even on shallow dives in the Keys. I honestly think that while the safety margin is nice on shallow reef dives, they can lull me into a more relaxed state that could potentially bleed over to the more deep stuff. I'm glad we started deep'ish. It ingrained good habits in us that we use everywhere.

In hindsight I see it as a tad risky due to our complete newb status, but honestly I don't think I'd change a thing. Those experiences were some of the most outstanding lifetime moments I've ever had, and essentially catapulted our lust for diving to new heights (lows? :)). We're now Jr. AOW, and AOW, the wife is now OW we're going for rescue in the fall with a few specialties tossed in. We can't get enough. :D

It was pretty common for me to do 140 to 150 on a single 72 spearfishing on the Louisiana oil platforms. Most were quick drops looking for fish and back up to 50 or 60 for the remainder of the dive.

163 f 'o seawater is my max and I was getting a buddy back up who was on a nitrox fill...and his max should have been 80 ft :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom