Fundies kicked my a$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh? You mean, go to class, get told your old gear won't cut it because the inflator hose is too long, buy overpriced Halcyon or else see ya.

How about go to class and borrow your very generous instructor's backplate and wing for free. Realize that your standard jacket BCD isn't cutting it. Shop for new BP/W and decide that spending money on something which immediately requires fixing to keep the elephant trunk of an inflator out of the silt is not worth the $$ and hassle when you can buy something perfectly functional off the rack for the same.

How about you go troll elsewhere outside the basic forum ok?

How about you go troll elsewhere outside the basic forum ok?
I could ask that you restrict all your comments to the DIR forum. This forum is for discussion, not cheerleading. It stands to reason that new divers here should be exposed to both sides of the DIR/GUE/Halcyon controversy and make up their own minds. Just like Scientologists, you people always want to silence any opposition.

Crush, congrats on passing your Fundies class. I agree the class was a butt kicker. It was also the most bang for the buck scuba training I have gotten to date. There is something for everyone to learn in the class. I was already diving a BP/W, long hose, with a can light and the class helped bring it all together to help me be a better dive buddy. The dives are also more enjoyable since now I have better control in the water. My newly certified g/f started in a HOG set up, has been learning from the beginning how well the gear works, and how to be a great buddy. My training is rubbing off on her, and she sees the benefits of how we dive. She has made comments like, "I really like my bungee backup, because I always know where it is". She definitely appreciates the gear she uses today over the traditional type gear she used on her CMAS Discover Scuba dives in the past.

I could ask that you restrict all your comments to the DIR forum. This forum is for discussion, not cheerleading. It stands to reason that new divers here should be exposed to both sides of the DIR/GUE/Halcyoncontroversy and make up their own minds. Just like Scientologists, you people always want to silence any opposition.

DIR/GUE/Halcyon :w-t-f:

People like you always spew the same BS. And that is coming from a NON-DIR diver who is tired of arguments (not discussion) like yours. I enjoy discussion on DIR, not people actively trying to convince others that DIR is bad.

I could ask that you restrict all your comments to the DIR forum. This forum is for discussion, not cheerleading. It stands to reason that new divers here should be exposed to both sides of the DIR/GUE/Halcyon controversy and make up their own minds. Just like Scientologists, you people always want to silence any opposition.

I think it's a great idea to expose newer divers to both sides of any issue. But in order to do that you need to present factual, reliable information ... which isn't what I've seen from you. In fact, the only reason I'm even bothering to respond to you at all is because you've failed to present any "side" that makes any sense. Childish accusations, hyperbole and emotional responses just don't make a very good impression, and certainly don't present anything like a "side".

Frankly, since you're an SSI instructor ... if that's a demonstration of the quality of information you provide your students, I feel bad for them.

I have friends and dive buddies who are far from the DIR model ... many of them decided long ago that DIR is not for them. All of them can present reasoned, rational reasons why ... as can I. As I've repeatedly pointed out (through your rabid accusations of my somehow being a member of a cult) I am not DIR ... I solo dive and sidemount dive and DIR does not embrace either of those things. However, I have rational reasons why I do those things, as well as rational reasons why I don't see a conflict between how I dive and how my DIR-trained friends do.

The only "controversy" with DIR/GUE/Halcyon is inside your head ... most folks just want to go diving, and would prefer to find ways to do it that makes their dives more safe and comfortable. Fundamentals appeals to a lot of those people, because it provides them the tools to become the diver they want to be. I really don't see why you have a problem with that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've expressed some mixed feeling about my Fundies class so I suspect most would not count me as a cheerleader. That said your blatant misrepresentations do not make a discussion. It certainly does not inform the new divers you claim to want to help.

I don't care if you people argue about DIR/GUE/UTD/Rec/RecTec/long hose/trimix.

Leave my damn Halcyon BC alone. It maybe overpriced, but it's my money to spend and I look damn good in it. Not to mention chicks dig Blue H. Don't hate me because I have cool toys.

What I find ignorant is taking an expensive class if you have no use for it.

I'd just like to point out that from my point of view: (1)$700 for one course is friggin expensive; and (2) $700 for a four-day course with six dives and a student-to-teacher ratio of 3:1 (is that correct?) is the best value you will find anywhere.

I'd just like to point out that from my point of view: (1)$700 for one course is friggin expensive; and (2) $700 for a four-day course with six dives and a student-to-teacher ratio of 3:1 (is that correct?) is the best value you will find anywhere.
My TDI Adv. Nitrox/Deco. Procedures course was $900, but that was six deco dives over 5 days with a 1:1 ratio and it was in expensive Grand Cayman. A far better value, I'd say.

Crush,

Congrats on your continued learning!! :D

In my part of the pond, we don't generally worry about which "club" someone belongs to ...

threeamigos.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I absolutely love this pic Bob, it is a poster for EEO diving !! :bounce4: sorry, I am in HR :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom