Funny, Stupid, Dangerous things done with Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was talking with my brother about Scuba diving over Christmas, reliving diving times. He remembered when he got certified and wanted to '''experiment with the ''expandind gas fact''. So he took a Mason Jar down 40ft in a near by lake, filled it, sealed it, and let her go! As he waited for a explosion, he realized if the jar ''did not explode in the water'' it wold be a ''floating bomb''. He was relived to see glass cascade down around him. Now I know why they say ''Curiousity killed th cat''! :no:

I was talking with my brother about Scuba diving over Christmas, reliving diving times. He remembered when he got certified and wanted to '''experiment with the ''expandind gas fact''. So he took a Mason Jar down 40ft in a near by lake, filled it, sealed it, and let her go! As he waited for a explosion, he realized if the jar ''did not explode in the water'' it wold be a ''floating bomb''. He was relived to see glass cascade down around him. Now I know why they say ''Curiousity killed th cat''! :no:

The sealed jar exploded from just 2.2 ata?

:police:

Pre-Emptive Reminder

ScubaBoard Moderators may, at their discretion, remove any post which advocates unsafe diving practices, as defined by the major certification agencies of the scuba diving world. While ScubaBoard does not take an official position on these matters, ScubaBoard does encourage users to maintain safe diving practices. You and you alone are responsible for your diving safety.

Must have been one darn good lid. I would have to say the dumest thing I have seen in scuba is divers diving outside there training. I know a guy who is STUPID in my opinion he does a lot of the dumbest things like:
Go from the surface and shoot down as fast as possible to 130+ft just to "try to get narked" with no buddy with him for that matter.
To surface he thinks it is "FUN" to inflate his BC and shoot to the surface like a rocket.
Goes into caves with out any training or redundancy air.
I do believe he is going to kill himself one day on SCUBA. This is all Stupid and dangerous not funny. I will never dive with this guy or anybody like him.

These are things that should NEVER be done under any circumstance:no:

The funny things I see are forgetting weights, jumping in with the snorkel in instead of the reg. jumping in with no air in BC (only if regs in is it funny) Things of that nature.

The funny things I see are forgetting weights, jumping in with the snorkel in instead of the reg. jumping in with no air in BC (only if regs in is it funny) Things of that nature.

I find it funny to watch a group of divers jump into the water with fully inflated BCs, bob on the surface while everyone else enters, raises their hands as if to ask permission to go to the bathroom, with inflators in hand, synchronized, descend en masse.

Not funny but dangerous.
I watched a guy with his new camera follow a Monk seal up from 90+ feet. His pictures may have been great but the price he paid was too much. (a chamber ride)

Not funny but dangerous.
I watched a guy with his new camera follow a Monk seal up from 90+ feet. His pictures may have been great but the price he paid was too much. (a chamber ride)

Last July at Dutch Springs scuba park in PA, my reg nearly fell out of my mouth when I witnessed a guy riding at high speed past us with a DPV, towing a woman who was holding onto his ankles. My buddy and I were underneath the Soviet Helicopter at a depth of 50 feet when they shot past us from below (whipping up a cloud of silt) and proceeded to go straight UP to within 5 ft of the surface before (we found out later) shooting back down again. I was a bit too dumbstruck to count, but my buddy estimated they went from about 65 ft to 5 ft in about 3 seconds. :shocked2:

Last July at Dutch Springs scuba park in PA, my reg nearly fell out of my mouth when I witnessed a guy riding at high speed past us with a DPV, towing a woman who was holding onto his ankles. My buddy and I were underneath the Soviet Helicopter at a depth of 50 feet when they shot past us from below (whipping up a cloud of silt) and proceeded to go straight UP to within 5 ft of the surface before (we found out later) shooting back down again. I was a bit too dumbstruck to count, but my buddy estimated they went from about 65 ft to 5 ft in about 3 seconds. :shocked2:

:no::no: :shakehead::shakehead:

When I was young and stupid we used to go about 200 yards off the beach at at La Jolla, Ca, where the continental shelf dropped off sharply, and "jump off" the edge down to 180-220 feet deep into the very dark, cold water. We would spend a few minutes giggling from being narced out and then ascend slowly. We were fairly experienced but still taking huge risks. Not at all recommended, just a stupid adventure from many years ago.
Jacktana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom