How fast can YOU go down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Seriously, I am one of those blessed with fairly open ear canals and am able to descend "rapidly" without equalizing on almost every dive.

We all know what you mean, but to clarify for new divers ... you ARE equalizing all the way down, your "blessing" permits you to not have to hold your nose and blow or move your jaw from side to side etc ... I have always enjoyed this same freedom and definitely consider it a blessing. But for our new diver's benefit if you didn't equalize at all going down ... you'd be a diver with a very serious problem. <wink>

"When I hit the water, I went straight down. No stops, no slowing, no NOTHING. I hit hard on the bottom and wondered what the heck I was doing down there all by myself and why did my ears hurt so dang much?"

I just hope that resort course adventures like this do not take place anywhere near a wall with a several thousand foot drop off to an abyss.

My gut wrenches at the thought of my assumption that someone (including you or anyone else) did not generaously inflate your BC/BCD before you jumped into the water.

Maybe the original 13 day (sometimes one day for 13 weeks) PADI OW courses, complete with graded quizes, pool time excercises with equipment, and 5 OW certification dives / excercises are not such a lengthy approach to learning to dive when compared to outcomes from incidents like these.

My first dive was a resourt dive in Maui and it was fantastic! We dove by the black rock near the Sheritan Hotel and had a absolute ball. I was totally hooked and that was 15 years ago and I am still diving. After the resort dive we ended up getting certified there in Maui Our instructor was great and the class was small Only 2 of us. It was definitely worth doing.

My first dive was a resort dive in Maui and it was fantastic! We dove by the black rock near the Sheritan Hotel and had a absolute ball. I was totally hooked and that was 15 years ago and I am still diving. After the resort dive we ended up getting certified there in Maui Our instructor was great and the class was small Only 2 of us. It was definitely worth doing.

Tparrent, you write well. Please continue to do so.

My first dive was in the pool of a cruise ship in 1967 (see the avitar). We had a 15 minute briefing about clearing masks and regulators and in we went. Everything else I knew I had picked up from "Sea Hunt." The only problem I had was that the pool was so crowded that people would keep knocking my maks off. BTW: If you like minimalist rigs, look at the picture closely!

good to see that not everyone has had a bad experience with a resort dive.

my wife tried a discover scuba dive today one-on-one with the staff instructor at the shop i use. she had an awesome dive and her past bad experiences are behind her. she's doing her open water course over summer. finally i'll have a regular and good lookin' dive buddy...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom