Fusion with SiTech ring system, review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, comparing the Fusion to the DUI suit I borrowed in MX, I'd say it is still a little easier to get into the DUI. The stretch on the Fusion skin make it a tiny bit more work -- but if you roll the legs down a little bit, and work the suit up bit by bit instead of trying to put a whole bunch of it on at once, it's not really that bad. (I like to say putting on a Fusion is like putting on pantyhose, but for half the population, that comparison doesn't convey much . . . )

Reactions: Jax
Well, comparing the Fusion to the DUI suit I borrowed in MX, I'd say it is still a little easier to get into the DUI. The stretch on the Fusion skin make it a tiny bit more work -- but if you roll the legs down a little bit, and work the suit up bit by bit instead of trying to put a whole bunch of it on at once, it's not really that bad. (I like to say putting on a Fusion is like putting on pantyhose, but for half the population, that comparison doesn't convey much . . . )

for the other half of the population you could say its like putting on a condom, stick your feet in first then roll it up your body :wink:

I'v never really understood the talk about how difficult it is to don & doff a Fusion. I went in & out of my original black skin suit with ease, I go into & out of my grey skin suit with such effortless ease, I just can't imagine what the problem others are having.

TSandM:

Are you using the Si-Tech Lock Dry Glove System? The fusion appears to have a gauntlet that covers the wrist seals. Are they large enough to accommodate the large diameter Lock Rings? I think I might go the Fusion route as well.

Claude

No, I am using the Viking Bayonet ring system.

The SiTech wrist seal system involves a very flexible outer cuff, into which a ribbed inner ring that's about 2" or so in depth is inserted, with the seal in the middle of the plastic ring, and folded back over the outside. I was able to use the OUTER ring of my Viking setup to replace the ribbed, inner ring. The Viking ring has an approximately 1 1/2 inch smooth cuff on it that worked fine, with the beading at the edge of the seal forming a sort of o-ring seal between the two.

TSandM:

Are you using the Si-Tech Lock Dry Glove System? The fusion appears to have a gauntlet that covers the wrist seals. Are they large enough to accommodate the large diameter Lock Rings? I think I might go the Fusion route as well.

Claude

I have the SiTech wrist seals on my Fusion and the gauntlet was removed when the rings were installed. Personally I never liked them anyway.

Kudos to SiTech for making an aftermarket user-replaceable seal system!
...and now I'll get to see how easy it is for the user to replace it.

My neck seal ripped in half while I was taking it off today. Mike, I just sent you an email about getting a replacement.

big head.....

Send me a picture of the seal. Do you know what happened? Stretched too much? Faulty seal? Let me know :wink:

This is why we always suggest having spare seals. The nice thing about having a system like this is you never have to get stuck with a ripped seal and no diving...unless you don't have spares :no:

I do have a big head, as I mentioned when I sent my suit to you. I have to flex the ring to put it on. I was pulling it over my head and a section of the seal came right off. I am not sure exactly how it happened.It looks like a half circle.

I will send you a picture later today.

big head.....

Send me a picture of the seal. Do you know what happened? Stretched too much? Faulty seal? Let me know :wink:

This is why we always suggest having spare seals. The nice thing about having a system like this is you never have to get stuck with a ripped seal and no diving...unless you don't have spares :no:

DRIS’ Mike Pederson sold me a demo for a super price! Unfortunately, I quickly found out that my wiry wrists with tendon channels would simply squirt water in . . . I was continuously drenched up the arms. [Note – this is a person problem, not a suit problem.] It has the gray inner bag, so . . .

Mike immediately came up with several ideas, even offering free install since I had just bought the suit – he is just that concerned with customer satisfaction. I ended up buying the silicone wrist seals and the Si Tech system.

Unfortunately, just like TSandM, the silicone wrist seals were too big – but not terribly so. Somehow, I stumbled on a 1/4” wide rubber band that fit, and a dive watch on the other wrist, and the seepage became minimum.

Then, the neck seal gave way – there were some places on it that had that funny multiple fine cracking, perhaps from sunscreen during its demo days. Again, Mike had various ideas but I went ahead with the silicone Si Tech system for the neck.

Oh, horrors – that thing was WAY too big! (I have a 12 1/2 neck, if you wish to compare.) The silicone seal has about a 12 1/4 circumference.

All through this, Mike kept checking with me, offering alternatives, and even offered to send about half-a-cow to fatten me up! :rofl3:

This last go-around, he sent me the smallest seal he could find – oh, joy, it was TOO small! Yay, we have options! He just sent me the next size up, and even though it feels like my head is going to pop, I sat around for 15 minutes and felt fine, so that’s it!!! Yay, DRIS!!!!

They even supply ‘how-to’ videos! http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/neck-tite-drysuit-neck-seal-system-p-2712.html

boulderjohn, I just replaced my neck seal in about five minutes last night. I couldn’t believe how easy it was!!! One thing – to get the yellow ring out, slip the roller tool in and use it a little like a pry bar. I was so afraid of ‘hurting’ something, but it came right out.

EDIT: . . . replaced the seal in my living room, on the coffee table, using only the roller tool that comes with it. Obviously, very simple, 'cause I did it! And think how easy it will be to swap a seal on a boat! :yeahbaby:

BTW, does anyone want a silicone neck seal? :D

Anyway, the Si Tech system is super easy, and I am certainly going to have as many spare seals as possible. DRIS (including Alex and Heather) have been super supportive, explaining things to me, their videos are excellent, I even patched my suit’s pinhole myself! :D (Okay, so I missed the hole . . . at least I know I can patch it!)

Mike, I'm ready to try some latex wrist seals, now! :cool3:

Seriously, I love the suit - I change out undergarments and wear the suit in mid-80's to low 60's . . . low 60's is icy to me . . . and it's so wonderful to be comfortable! Like Kern said, I don't understand the doff and don problems as I slip right in.

Thank you, DRIS and White's for my fabulous drysuit. :thumb:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom