Future of DiveShops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The future of the LDS is no different than any other niche activity right now. You can buy bike parts, climbing gear, paddling equipment etc. online and we all have to compete in that environment.

Shops that have knowledgeable, professional staff and forward thinking business practices will adapt and change and have the best chance at success. Shops that hold to 'the way we've always done it' will struggle. As dive professionals we must always be working to engage our customers and potential customers in a world with an insane number of distractions. That's reality but it's the business reality for everyone so we're not alone.

My dive shop is awesome. They will lower prices in order to come close to online shops and are much more helpful and friendly. I will always support local business given comparable prices.

Smaller brick and mortar stores are having a hard time getting orders for store inventory completed.

The larger online retailers are sucking up most of the production, and a lot of smaller stores are left on backorder for weeks to months at a time. Even when customers come to the store to buy something, they are forced to go online to get it.

Reactions: r4e
Last dive club (BSAC affiliated) I was a member of was SANGMED in Jeddah back in 91/92, we had our own compressor, a number of tanks and a pick up truck to transport gear to and from dive sites. The compressor was in the hospital fire station so was providing good air and serviced frequently.

As for my local LDS's I have no specific favourite, I will buy whatever of them can provide what I am looking for. I also buy in the UK, Singapore or elsewhere when I am visiting. I occasionally buy online and have stuff shipped to my address in UK or my company HQ in Barcelona. I do prefer to touch stuff before buying, especially things to wear like wetsuits etc., would never

However there is only one place where I fill my tanks (except for trimix), have them tested and have my regs serviced, I suspect it is the same place that Diving Dubai also frequents too since they are a long established shop that was bought over a couple of years ago but retain the same tech staff.

As for training, well there are some independent instructors here in UAE, but since most of the diving is done from boats, a dive op is still required to get to the dive sites.

Dive trips, I generally organise my own, although I seem to have committed myself to some tech diving in Sri Lanka next year through one dive op here on our east coast.

For me an LDS is important.

My LDS
-provides air fills etc and I know they keep their equipment up. Since I never know where the next dive is I always dive Nitrox.
-They are also a major equipment service center. More that once they have solved an equipment issue on the spot.
-I have taken a class or two there.
-Are nice folks I enjoy talking to.
-Quick pickup of something I need at the last minute.

I should add that I also frequent one at the coast if that is more convenient when diving at the coast. Same reasons.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

This is what determines how successful a dive shop is, with the current variables of the economy and the internet. In our area we have several (10 right off the top of my head) dive shops that offer training, trips, gear, and service. With that being said, the shops that are located in high income areas make a very good living because the high volume of people that come through don't take the time to shop online ($2000,00 for a setup is pocket change to them). Then you take my shop, in a lower income area, people are all about saving money and tend to shop online. In land dive shops like mine must offer other services or cheaper prices if they want to compete with other shops and the internet. We are fortunate that we have a Dive Shop / Marina / Boat Shop combo that funds the diving expense, because the days of train a student, sell him gear, and then take him on a trip 5 times a year are all but non-existent. I agree with the statement, business models must change to follow new age ways, because times have changed. This is why we have started to invest our time and money into other things that are related to our specific location. Example would be salvaging. We are the only dive shop in our area that is located on a body of water, and we are also the only shop in the area that is equipped to adequately search and salvage large vessels out of our lake. Location plays a big role in how a shop capitalizes on it's services. Out of all the shops with in 20 miles of ours, only one is direct competition to us. To compete with this shop, we have decided not to lower prices but to offer services that they don't. So far we have been very successful in doing this and recently expanded from a small 500 square foot building to a 2500 square foot building. We also work hand in hand with another local shop less than 9 miles from us. When a customer comes in wanting a particular type of equipment that we don't generally carry that the other shop stocks, we will send that customer to the other shop. Some say this is shooting ourselves in the feet, but the working relationship works well with us because we offer training that the other shop doesn't. In return the other shop sends us students on a regular basis. The working relationship will not work for all but has been a blessing to us. Resort area shops capitalize in the same way because they offer a charter service. Most other shops plan trips through them and take their customers on trips. I would venture to say most resort shops don't offer salvaging 24/7, 365 days a year. So once again location, location, location is the key to the success-fullness of a dive shop. But the days of surviving on gear sales alone are long gone unless you want to start selling online.

As far as the independent instructor rise, I have noticed this more and more, for several reasons. One of course is the pay. But I blame most of this on the Training Agencies and the Dive Shops. Before I continue, let me state this. For argument sake, lets say there are 2 types of divers, those who dive, and those who vacate. The ones that dive (for case in point say 20 or more times a year), tend to educate themselves more than the ones that only dive on vacation. And the ones that only dive on vacation, usually have the mind set of, I want to get certified fast and cheap. The training agencies (we will use PADI for an example) find a quick and easy method of certification (example omitting old out dated skills, Buddy Breathing for example or even teaching the tables), so that they can get the most quantity of people certified in a short amount of time. They hide behind the cover of, well now it is required to have an alternate regulator so there is no need to learn to buddy breathe. So with all this, shops (rightfully so) look for the fastest and cheapest way to certify a multitude of students, even if it means paying the instructors less money. This also can be seen where shops only train through one agency, take a larger based shop like Diver's Supply, who recently changed from a PADI shop to an SDI shop, presumably because of cost of material and training. The shop looks at profit (which they should), and then decides what is most financially practical to them. Then take the students that want to continue in diving but seek more in depth training. This is where the independent instructor comes into play. He has a greater time table to certify the student, and can usually branch out and teach for multiple agencies with out getting flack from the shop. We have 4 current instructors on staff, that can teach for different agencies including, PADI, PDIC, SEI, CMAS, SDI, NAUI, and etc. We chose to do this, because no other shop in the area does that. We show the student in the very beginning that there is more to diving than just one agency, and we give them the opportunity to express what type of diver they want to become. Then we pick the best instructor that will suit their needs, and let them set their own schedule for training and certification.

Unless a shop is located in a high end heavy tourist area, where they certify or charter 1000 or more a year, then they are going to have to expand their services to survive. One of the oldest shops in North Carolina, is a very small PADI shop (less than 600 square foot), that back in the 1990's trained 200-400 students a year, and I would say sold at least 100-150 compete sets of gear in the same year. Now, they sell maybe 2 complete sets a year and train maybe 20 student per year. But they are still going because of reputation. They have one of the best PADI Instructors around, and I have personally looked up to him as a mentor for many years. This reputation has kept them alive through the fall in the economy and they still are one of the best shops in our area. I would love to see the economy take a 180 degree turn and people start spending a fortune at their local dive shops, but until that happens shops (not all but most) are going to have to change to survive. Business is a tricky business, like the unofficial US Marines motto, "Improvise, adapt, and overcome." Shops must do the same if they want to survive.

I don't know the exact future of the dive industry, but I do know the future that I in vision for my shop (a successful one). No matter what it takes, I will continue to put 110% into my shop until it goes under, even if it means I have to offer services that no ones even heard of (like teaching the Outer Space PADI Distinctive Specialty Diver, jokingly of course).

Side note: The part in reference to Diver's Supply was not meant in any way disrespect or any way condescending towards them, it was merely used as an example. Diver Supply is a very large retailer both brick and mortar and online, and I believe currently have 3 shops on the east coast. They have been very successful and are a prime example of how shops can have store and online sales. As far as them switching from PADI to SDI, is merely hear say from current customers that we share in our area. I wish them all the best.

It's the same as for any retail related business. If you have a brick and mortar store, you have to have an online store that is competitive. Your online store has to be convenient, have a wide selection, and have competitive prices. Many dive shop owners are ignoring these realities and are going out of business as a result. Those like DRIS who are adapting seem to be thriving. Some of the dive shops in my area are starting to create online stores. But every single one is overpriced and has as poor a selection as they do in their store.

I buy from my local shops to support them most of the time. But I really feel like doing so is a charitable contribution. Bottom line, shopping local almost always costs more than online. They have this sense of entitlement, and some even get angry at customers for also shopping online. There's posts about this stuff all the time.

Which brings me to the other two big reasons for failing dive shops.

Poor customer service.

Many dive shops feel entitled to your business.

A cursory search on scubaboard about shoddy treatment customers get from various dive shops will show you what I mean.

In summary:

1. Failure to adapt to a changing market.
2. Poor customer service.
3. Entitlement issues.

Many dive shops are owned by divers and not businessmen, which I think explains the lack of understanding these things. Not that I have any particular love for businessmen, quite the opposite. It is frustrating when I hear about a shop closing and then hear they were doing stuff like I have described. They really dug their own graves. Maybe shop owners should consider hiring someone better qualified to manage their business.

I am wondering if online business is to be combined by in-store sale, would the shop not be obligated to price their in-store gear to match the low prices of their online gear? I dont think it would look good if someone walks into a brick and mortar store and gets an Apeks XTX 50 for 675 USD and the sales rep tells them "Btw if you dont come in here and order over the internet, we will sell this to you for 395 USD." Vitamin shop does that with vitamins and do not look cool at all doing that IMO.

I am wondering if online business is to be combined by in-store sale, would the shop not be obligated to price their in-store gear to match the low prices of their online gear? I dont think it would look good if someone walks into a brick and mortar store and gets an Apeks XTX 50 for 675 USD and the sales rep tells them "Btw if you dont come in here and order over the internet, we will sell this to you for 395 USD." Vitamin shop does that with vitamins and do not look cool at all doing that IMO.

Vendors give different prices for dealers who sell in larger volumes, so your local shop may simply not be able to match a price you get from an online store. Here is an example.

Here in Colorado, there is very little call for nitrox, and even less of a call for trimix. The overwhelming majority of shops do not even try to sell either. If people use nitrox, it is on a trip, and they will use an analyzer supplied by the operator. Consequently, almost no diver owns their own analyzer, and few shops have any in stock for sale. As a tech instructor, I needed to purchase a combination helium and oxygen analyzer, a fairly expensive item. The shop with which I work was happy to get it for me at their cost, and they included me in emails to the vendor asking for a price. The vendor agreed to set them up at a certain company cost level if they agreed to purchase and sell a certain number of analyzers--any variety. If they did agree to that arrangement, the company would sell them the analyzer I needed for a certain price. That dealer price was more than the full retail price at a high-volume online shop.

In many cases, if you are asking your local shop to meet an online retailer's price, you are asking them to sell it to you at a loss, and sometimes a significant loss.

Manufacturer's won't allow items to be listed at prices below X (see scubatoys website). What happens is that the store needs to give automatic discounts and/or match any price that is online from a legitimate online retailer (LP,Scubatoys,Divegearexpress,etc). A savy shopper who has done their research knows that you can typically get regulators for 30% cheaper than MSRP and will talk to the shop owner about getting a price close to that (I generally offer all cash). If a scuba store owner is not willing to come close to the price then you go somewhere else......the lack of sale is not your fault.

Back
Top Bottom