Future of DiveShops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes people on here ask some stupid questions and I try not to fall Into the trap but I think I will respond to your two question as dumb as they may appear!
What did I do , they same thing that Macys would do if a woman brought an handbag from JCP that they did not like!
Second as to who's fault. does it matter! I had the correct product at the same price in stock, customer obviously knew we were a dealer and had to have been to,our shop before!!! However the bottom line is I represent Henderson I do not own it so the burden of fixing the problem would certainly be on who ever sold it to him!!! Since we were the quick fix to his problem he tried to use us as a solution!!! Oh well!!!

Sometimes people on here ask some stupid questions and I try not to fall Into the trap but I think I will respond to your two question as dumb as they may appear!
What did I do , they same thing that Macys would do if a woman brought an handbag from JCP that they did not like!
Second as to who's fault. does it matter! I had the correct product at the same price in stock, customer obviously knew we were a dealer and had to have been to,our shop before!!! However the bottom line is I represent Henderson I do not own it so the burden of fixing the problem would certainly be on who ever sold it to him!!! Since we were the quick fix to his problem he tried to use us as a solution!!! Oh well!!!

Sadly, THAT is the future of dive shops. Me, I would have taken the new, unused suit and let the customer try on suits until they found one that fit, and made the exchange with a smile. What harm would it have done? I do not have the same need that you do, to punishing someone for shopping online. With customer service like you provide, I would shop online too.

Of course you would! I have a few new suits in my shop that do not fit me! Please give me you address, store manage name, and hour of operation I would like to come by and exchange them!!!
Be real!!! unfortunately we have to make profit to,pay our bills an employees! However since are are so generous I appreciate your efforts and would certainly like to take you up on these exchanges I did not buy from you!!
I like the new wave dive shop or online store concept!! Will help me with inventory we cannot return to manufactures but can exchange to you!

Would have done the same thing. Advise customer they did not purchase item here and to go where she bought it. We had a similar customer come in with a suit they purchased online, after using us as a fitting room. She shows up with the same exact thing we sell,she is in a ow class with us. She tells us she got it cheaper online..she paid $207. We sell it at $200. So she used the facilitY as a fitting room and then purchased online thinking she got one over on us! Gave her standard ow class,issued referral and sent her on her way,as she was to do the certification dives elsewhere. A year went by and she shows up asking for a new referral as she was unable to go on her trip. Kindly advised her she needs to take entire course over as due to standards it is required and it would require the tuition fee to be paid again. Karma is a bitch. What go's around comes around.

For Scubatude I have a better suggestion, I will fex ex the suits to you for exchange, save us both a lot of hassles!!! BTW I will pay shipping both ways or a since you are so kind i will just send them by a friend!!!
Get Real!!!!

---------- Post added December 14th, 2014 at 10:22 AM ----------

Good pint oly505, standards in training and you did not have to complicate them! the agency set the rules we just have to,play by them!!!
However, we are the reason diving is suffering, in some people's eyes!!!

Of course you would! I have a few new suits in my shop that do not fit me! Please give me you address, store manage name, and hour of operation I would like to come by and exchange them!!!
Be real!!! unfortunately we have to make profit to,pay our bills an employees! However since are are so generous I appreciate your efforts and would certainly like to take you up on these exchanges I did not buy from you!!
I like the new wave dive shop or online store concept!! Will help me with inventory we cannot return to manufactures but can exchange to you!

Get real? You
have over $20,000. Of Henderson inventory
according to you, and you are worried about one, new in the box, saleable wetsuit. I can certainly understand why you are having a hard time paying your bills and paying your employees. Seriously, don't complain about people buying online when you offer them no reason to come into your store. Shopping online is easy. You can do it from your lazyboy without getting out of your pajamas. If you want people to get up, get dressed, and drive over to you, offer them something they can't get online...your knowledge, expertise, and CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Last edited:
I did not imply and problem paying bills I have employees who have families, homes and never met a business model that was not built aroundd profit!
However I want to take advantage of your generous business model and exchange some suits that you have written right on here you would do!!! I assume you have a store front and employees so lets get this going for the holidays!!!
Onlines sales company do not bother my program they help!! They need service, air, training and many other aspects of our business that they feel way more comfortable doing,in,person!
When can we make this exchange or maybe you have second thoughts?

If you want people to get up, get dressed, and drive over to you, offer them something they can't get online...you knowledge, expertise, and CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I have to agree with this, but then there are those situations (that occur too often in many industries) of the "customer" who comes in all smiles, utilizes your customer service and face-to-face expertise, tries on products, asks questions, thanks you for your friendly service and leaves because "they will need to think about it", goes home and orders everything online.

The reality is that people are doing that because they believe they'll get a better deal online.

And why do they think that?

Pointing fingers elsewhere will do you no good.

Does the shop have prices on display or does the customer have to ask? Does the shop research prices online, inform the customers about it, and either offer a competitive price or a compelling reason why the price needs to be higher? Does the shop talk about servicing requirements and offer specials if you purchase from them? Perhaps a discount on some up-coming classes that are being offered through the shop? Perhaps a free Discover Local Diving session or some such with the purchase of a package?

I think that customer service will help, but many people like to think they are getting a financial deal (especially when the gear is fairly expensive), and right now people see the internet as the ultimate deal maker. Local shops either need to prove them wrong or accept that they will lose business by not adapting to a changing consumer environment, which seems like a poor business strategy.

Personally I live in Queens but drive quite a distance (past other shops) to go to a dive shop because I have a relationship with all those guys that they developed intentionally with me. I value that and give them as much business as I can and they in turn take care of me. I value such things, but not everyone is like me (which may or may not be a good thing). Local shops should not be counting on one-time purchases, but instead looking for any possibility to turn a situation into a long-lasting relationship. A customer comes into your shop with a problem, you have the ability to fix it and build a relationship. Does it matter if that problem is the wrong item purchased elsewhere or a blown o-ring? Chastising the customer isn't going to change their mind about shopping elsewhere, if anything it may justify their initial decision and makes sure they tell their friends about the awful experience they had in your shop.

I am not a professional in the SCUBA business, I am just a customer. But perhaps businesses should start listening to their customers (or almost customers) rather than blaming them for thinking a certain way.

I have purchased a few wetsuits online. Most online retailers mail you a number of suits to try. You can select the one that fits the best and send them back the AT THEIR EXPENSE!

I wish LDS retailers realize that if they complain that customers are using their shops as free "trial rooms" then this will not force people to make purchases. It will only force people to start trying stuff online. In order for any business to flourish, you cant say customers are bad people and a lesson in morality or common courtesy will correct the business model.

My LDS solves the problem by stocking a load of wetsuits. He really has no problems if people walk in their to try it out. Once they try and select a size, he tells them that the cheapest they will be able to get the same suit online is 200 USD. It will take a week to deliver and for customer support, they will have to send it back to the online retailer. He will sell them the same suit for 210 USD. For 10 USD more they can walk out of the store with the suit and the store will stand behind the suit for whatever the warranty duration is. Within that time frame if the suit needs fixing they will give them a free rental suit while their suit is getting serviced. If they still wish to buy from the online retailer then it is totally their choice so there is no sales pressure. This is a guy who has already done research about the cheapest way a customer can get the suit and he has offered some benefits which online retailer can not deliver.

He sells a lot of suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom