G250? Worth servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is usually a good idea to lightly lube unprotected threads.

Yes, I do that. Was just wondering if using such a large amount between threads and O ting was necessary? All three G250s I've taken apart have the same amount of grease so I'm guessing it's being done by the SP service center. If you enlarge the phot it's easier to see just how much has been used, looks to be about 1/2 a tea spoon. Cheers.

I have found it like that in every GXXX I have obtained (new and used). Factory or dive ship, I do not know. I know some have been serviced.... then again, servicing might have not touched that "glob"... hence my DIY regulator care...

Sorry, I'm a bit slow, just for clarity, tomglob or not to glob? Or does it not really matter either way? Cheers.

Heavy lube is good on dynamic o-rings. Light lube on other applications. In some locations, excess lube is just a dirt magnet. On that adjustment knob, it was just a waste. Lube on the barrel threads might have prevented the verdigris you can see in the picture.

Pack it!!!
Else, and also eventually, the water will wash the grease away, and it'll seize, and it's not fun trying to get it out. Remember, the threads are in direct contact with the outside.

The Master beats me to it.
Just to avoid any confusion: I mean: the threads must be packed with grease, the O-ring get the normal dose.

.. the threads must be packed with grease, the O-ring get the normal dose.

so what about "the space between?" That is the point of interest in this discussion.... It seems that "step" in the knob can, will, and does hold a bit of grease...

o_O

so what about "the space between?" That is the point of interest in this discussion.... It seems that "step" in the knob can, will, and does hold a bit of grease...

o_O

That is the waste. While that location should not produce a sand and dirt magnet, it also will not migrate to the threads or o-ring. I prefer to keep my extra lube in a jar in my save a dive kit

Some of that stuff is just excess that came off o-ring when the adjuster was installed. I lightly lube the threads, but occasionally I do remove the adjuster between rebuilds and put a bit more on the threads. I suspect silicone would hold up there better than ptfe grease.

The diaphragm in that photo looks fine, although of course it's not a close up. Why are you looking for a new one?

Thank you for all your replies. I do wonder then why SP pack that "step" with grease if it serves no purpose.

Re the diaphragm, yes, that one is fine but my other one has gone dry and feels brittle, like a piece of paper. I'm a little OCD so if I replace one with a new one I must replace both. It's an expensive affliction.

Back
Top Bottom