G250? Worth servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This week I'll pull them apart again and try various combination of parts and see what I can come up with. Is it still possible to get the original poppet assembly for them?

I'm not sure what you mean by "click into place" but basically the way I do it is:

1. Install the lever. Make sure it's lying flat against the barrel. (Fully depressed)
2. Install the poppet/spring/balance chamber/adjuster. I spend a few minutes making sure the tabs are lined up longitudinally with the lever feet. If it's correct, as you push everything in, the lever feet will catch on the poppet tabs and the lever springs up.
3. Install the orifice. Screw it in until it just barely moves the lever. The safest way to do this is to depress the lever, and release it to check to see if the orifice is contacting it. (there's play in the lever)

It seems that someone must have mentioned the issue to lever/poppet compatibility in this thread by now. I have had a few 109s with levers that don't play nice with the s-wing poppet. So I got new levers and everything's great. I guess it's possible the same situation occurs with early G250s.

I don't know if this is helpful!

Thank you for your reply, they are all helpful.

I mean engage with the lever. When you say you got new levers do you mean new of the same model or a different lever?

I now have them together with new longer orifice and new seawing poppet assembly, they seem to be ok but seem rather temperamental to tune, I don't have too much room to move particularly when trying to set cracking effort. Of course this being my first time with G250 it may be that this is the way they are and it's possible that the new orifice and seawing poppet do require a different order of assembly differing from literature. The way you assemble would certainly make the issue I've been having a non event.

When you say "didn't play nice" what was happening? Other than the assembly issue I'm not sure I do now have an actual problem.

The issue with one reg violently free flowing when purge depressed and Venturi on max then simultaneously causing the other second stage to violently free flow at the same time, is this to be expected or indicative of an issue? I've never encountered this with Apeks. Cheers.

In the 156/S-wing (at least in my experiences) problem, the symptom was a "delay". The best way I can describe it would be a "click, slight pause, then the air would flow" with an inhale. Assuming you have it assembled correctly, I'm betting that the thickness of the Trident seat is a contributor. Yes, the orifice would then need to be further out to be in position. However, it is possible that the lever is included is the issue. Finding a G250v lever might be worth the search. Again, that eBxx guy in Japan has been listing them, though it seems it is a problem for you due to your location. Not sure where else to recommend as it's different for me here in the USA.

There are some threads in the DIY discussing the lever..... There is also a tool made by Herman that is used for bending the lever, though I am hesitant to even recommend this approach, unless the only other option is to completely abandon your project...

As to the availability of the "old" poppet, they are no longer made. Anything you find is likely very old stock, and the seat may have aged to a point it is no longer functional.

Fun, isn't it?

As to both regs having issues at the same time (one induced by the other), I've never heard of such a thing....

I'm not sure if the seat is trident or not, it's the one included in the G250 service kit and s-wing poppet assembly by VDH. Assuming the G250V lever is still available I'm pretty sure I can source them from the same place out of Eurooe where I got the Orifice, metal adjustment knobs and blue diaphragms, one of which I tore, boo hoo. I'll look into getting the G250V levers. Cheers for the advice.

Yes, the simultaneous free flow from both regs when only the purge on one was pressed has me perplexed, I guess it's obviously possible as it's happened to me several times with these regs but I have no idea as to the mechanism causing it, due to the cause being unknown it does concern me. Given no one has mentioned it I'm assuming it's an anomaly therefore something wrong?

I'm 100% sure I have them assembled correctly. I'm guessing changing both the orifice and poppet assembly is what's causing the issues. For shits and giggles I'm going to reassemble using the original parts, assuming LP seat is still functional, and see what happens, at least that way I can, by process of elimination, narrow down cause whether that be parts or my error.

I always like to tune my regs initially with the cover off so I can see what is going on with lever height with my SP barrel poppet regs. It is not good if you have to make anything other than minor orfice adjuastents to get lever height correct. I have seen some where the lever sat a good .25 inches above the case, way too much to correct with orifice adjustment. There is a tool for bending the lever feet but I got lucky just using a pair of pliers (not recommended).

Thank you, I'll add that to my next assembly.

Can anyone shed any light on my simultaneous free flow issue?

Thank you, I'll add that to my next assembly.

Can anyone shed any light on my simultaneous free flow issue?

I suspect the free flow issue is just another symptom of your erratic cracking pressure problem. Make sure you are working with a good first stage. Do one second stage at a time. Don't put them together until both are operating right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom