g7, no ttl in manual mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r&wc

Contributor
Reaction score
i am going to upgrade to a ikelite housing so i can use a ttl strobe but if im reading the manual correctly it says that ttl does not work in manual mode, i will still have to adjust strobe output, is this correct?

somebody please tell me im reading it wrong!

if this is the case than it might not be worth the expense of a new housing and ikelite strobe when i can just go on ebay and get a sea & sea strobe with a manal power adjust and stick with my canon housing.

No it automatically adjusts the strobe and exposure with the ttl setup. Takes great shots too. I'm upgrading to the ikelite 200 strobe and I will hopefully get the light of a two strobe setup with a compact setup.

here is what the g7 manual says

"in M mode or when [flash adjust] is set to [manual], the flash will fire with manual adjustments. Refer to the guide number noted in the instuctions manual for the flash you are using for aperture value and iso speed, and set the appropriate value for the distance from the subject."

this is verbatim from the manual, i read this as saying that in manual mode you still need to adjust your flash output. based on the rest of the manual im surre the ttl does function but it seems to me that it wont in manual mode, i cant even get to the menu setting for auto/manual flash adjust when i have the dial turned to M.

im not trying to argue, im just trying to make sure i dont spend my money just to be disssapointed and no better off than i was before.

r&wc,

You are correct, in M mode (manual) the Canon G7 even with an eTTL enabled housing (like the Ikelite connected to their DS series Substrobes) will only fire flash set MANUALLY under the FUNC menu choices. It DOES have small increments, versus other P&S cameras only having 1/3 flash output (like my Canon A640).

So if you absolutely want to try and control EVERYTHING, like shutter speed, f-stop, etc. in M mode, you will need to set a flash output, then adjust maybe aperture for your flash to subject distance......

I coach Canon P&S users with the Ikelite Canon G7 eTTL set up to use Av mode, which DOES have eTTL. Then the aperture is all you need to adjust. The camera will pick an acceptable shutter speed automatically for background exposure, between 1/60 (where it bottoms out due to not wanting camera induced blur) and up to 1/250 or so.

One final reason for possibly playing with M mode and manual flash output......NO PRE-FLASH in M mode. So the camera may fire just slightly faster without the PRE-FLASH calculations in Av, Tv or P modes.

Hope this helps.....

dhaas

David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 79
the other plus of no preflash... you can use older ikelite strobes, triggered by the 4100 (orange, film era) slave sensors, and/or use older ike & other film strobes that have built in slave sensors (auto 35, etc)

Hi -

I just upgraded to the Ikelite housing with 2 DS125's (from a Canon housing with a single slaved YS-90) - it is set up and ready to go for its first dive with a camera in it tomorrow am...so take this with a grain of salt, but...

If you have a "starting point" setting that you like, you can program it to C1 or C2 in your camera. You can then perform incremental adjustments underwater from these starting points. TTL works in this scenario (in my kitchen, but still, the strobes fired).

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom