Galapagos or Cocos Island, doing some pre-trip planning...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that I started a thread that many people have preferences either way. I do appreciate all of your input, I'll be pushing for Galapagos when the time comes if the price is within reach, otherwise Cocos will be the trip of choice. I also like the idea that Galapagos has a bit more sunshine than your average Cocos Island trip. Alot has to happen before a final decision can be made, but again, I do possess alot more info than I previously had so thank you all very much.
Hmmm. On my last Cocos trip, it was bright and sunny our entire week on the island, not seeing any rain until the trip back to the mainland. That was in the month of July, smack dab in the middle of the "wet season".

OTOH, on my last Galapagos trip, which was in the middle of August, the "garua" weather kept the skies overcast most of the trip, finally turning into strong rain at the end. Combined with cold waters (currents and upwellings) and a strong breeze, we were freezing our butts off unsuiting after a dive, huddling together like penguins for warmth in the few wind-sheltered areas of the dive deck, gulping hot tea, and almost coming to blows fighting over the two warm deck showers.

While there are many factors differentiating the two locations, weather being one of them, you probably don't want to count on sun in either of them and if you luck out, great. A lot of people don't like Galapagos because the water is too cold. A lot of people don't like Cocos because the crossing is too long. A lot of people like Galapagos or don't like Galapagos because of the land tours and fewer dive opportunities, whereas a Cocos trip is a more typical liveaboard "dive eat sleep" schedule offering 4 dives a day plus night dives. I'd give those factors more weight than the chance of sun.

i've done both over the past 6 months. both are great. you can't go wrong either way.

you'll get more dives at cocos, but you'll likely see more whale sharks in galapagos. we had several whale sharks at cocos, so, yes, you can see them there too...but, we saw them on almost every dive at darwin. however, while in galapagos we only saw them at darwin. chances are you'll only get about 2 days at darwin during a week liveaboard (granted we saw them on almost every dive there). the southern islands didn't compare to darwin and wolf, imho. consider how many days your itinerary gives you there.

we had more hammers and silkies at cocos, lots of galapagos sharks at wolf island.

i'm headed back to cocos next, but i'd like to get back to galapagos in the future too. you won't go wrong either way. I have videos from both trips at my vimeo page below!

Hello there you 2!! How funny that you knew that was me! I was thinking of our Galapagos trip yesterday because I fell climbing and hurt my eel bite hand!!! Ouch!That was an amazing trip . Our dinghy was #1 ! LOL We went to Fiji with Midd and Seri and laughed for 8 days straight!! Just got back from a Peter Hughes trip to Raja Ampjat which was awesome! Send me an email when you have time to catch us up on all of your latest adventures!

i've done both over the past 6 months. both are great. you can't go wrong either way.

you'll get more dives at cocos, but you'll likely see more whale sharks in galapagos. we had several whale sharks at cocos, so, yes, you can see them there too...but, we saw them on almost every dive at darwin. however, while in galapagos we only saw them at darwin. chances are you'll only get about 2 days at darwin during a week liveaboard (granted we saw them on almost every dive there). the southern islands didn't compare to darwin and wolf, imho. consider how many days your itinerary gives you there.

we had more hammers and silkies at cocos, lots of galapagos sharks at wolf island.

i'm headed back to cocos next, but i'd like to get back to galapagos in the future too. you won't go wrong either way. I have videos from both trips at my vimeo page below!

I've got to say, I have went all over vimeo and youtube and have saw many trip videos that were pretty good, but these are done with a very professional look to them. I really enjoyed not only the shots themselves, but how they were each setup. Props to you lemon!

We were just in Cocos this last October and it was incredible with the undersea group and it was incredible, water temps at surface 80 with some thermals. Saw whale sharks on two of the dives, hammerheads in the hundreds,silver tips,silkies galapagos sharks and you will night dive with a hundred sharks at a time! I was with people who were on there 14th cocos trip and will go again. Costa Rica is awesome also with its black sand beaches to surf, zip lining up in Monte Verde, white water rafting and so much more, you cannot go wrong. :):D

Am reading through updated posts today and just wanted to say the Sea Shepherd office is still open and active in Puerto Ayora (Galapagos). The boat the SS donated to the National Park is a stationary fixture at Wolf and they work in conjunction with the National Police who staff it. Guys work 15 days at a time before making that very long commute back to Santa Cruz. They tell me they have been able to bust or chase off illegal fishing boats in that area as a direct result of having a station there and a National Police fast boat to go patrol in.

On the populated islands, they now have a well trained K9 unit to sniff shark fins, sea cucumbers and other contraband. These dogs are also making a difference because as people are busted, lose the income and are fined or jailed, it adds up to a risk that was without consequences before. As more tourism opportunities arise, fishermen can turn from illegal activities to work that is just as profitable and much easier in their minds. One of the things the Park has been doing is akin to a needle or guns exchange program... or something...They can use fishing permits to accumulate points towards tourism permits. It's rare to see sharks around Isabela but like fisherman all over the world, if they could profit from sharks being alive rather than dead...but alas, the process of changing a culture mindset is slow and only done from examples within as opposed to someone from outside trying to 'show them the light.' Fortunately, there are examples within the fishing community...fisherman turned divers turned dive masters...one of whom was in Shark Water.

The Sea Shepherd was the sole source of funding the K9 unit which is so underfunded that the handlers (National Police) end up taking money out of their own pockets (considerable when your monthly income is $500) to pay for meds, vitamins, etc for their dogs. Dogs receive death threats especially on Isabela where kennels were only constructed this past October.

We ended up 'accidentally' or 'organically' involved (whichever you choose), assisted with construction materials for kennel construction on Isabela and have had amazingly cool clients who ended up passionate, too. One veterinarian from Santa Cruz, CA was coming to participate in a scientific project, so had special permission to bring things in and brought a huge bag (maybe 80 pounds in weight) of medical supplies, supplements, etc. that should last at least a year.

So while this veers a bit off the topic, it is also on topic. If you're coming to Galapagos and want to make a donation to help the anti-shark finning efforts being made, please consider a donation (supplies, meds, money, etc.) to Sea Shepherd for the Galapagos K9 unit or directly to the captain of the unit. See more here, including contact info.

Back
Top Bottom