Galapagos Scuba Diving Fatality - February 12, 2010 - Eloise Gale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My quote was partly accurate....PADI does not certifiy students in a pool (my bad), but they DO certify in a quarry....which is completly wrong in my opinion. Divers leave the quarry thinking they can dive anywhere and end up putting themselves in dangerous situations that they are not ready for. When I was certified in 1990, NAUI only certified Open Water in Open water...ie..the ocean from a boat.
PADI, NAUI and all of the rest of the alphabet soup certify people in the same places. It doesn't (and never did) matter whether it's a lake, quarry, ocean or a cow pond as long as certain criteria is met.

Dive only in the ocean, if you want. But to say "Divers leave the quarry thinking they can dive anywhere" is ludicrous and deserves another apology before you depart this thread.

Sorry Randy but I am not here to offend and I will offer no apologies. Some divers (not all) DO leave the quarry thinking then can dive anywhere.....some have to realize that just because they have the money doesn't mean they should. Spend a week in the Keys, Bahamas, and many other low priced destinations to see just how many "once every other year" divers go down there and place themselves into situations they are not ready for. It happens all the time.

Certifying in a pond is a kin to giving a drivers licenses to people after they have learned how to drive on a go kart track. Does that seem right to you? In fact I would take a quarry cert one step further and and make it equivalent to a "learners permit" with a ban on open ocean diving until further training was completed...but then again that would hit the bottom line of the agencys too hard wouldn't it.

Sorry Randy but I am not here to offend and I will offer no apologies. Some divers (not all) DO leave the quarry thinking then can dive anywhere.....some have to realize that just because they have the money doesn't mean they should. Spend a week in the Keys, Bahamas, and many other low priced destinations to see just how many "once every other year" divers go down there and place themselves into situations they are not ready for. It happens all the time.

Certifying in a pond is a kin to giving a drivers licenses to people after they have learned how to drive on a go kart track. Does that seem right to you? In fact I would take a quarry cert one step further and and make it equivalent to a "learners permit" with a ban on open ocean diving until further training was completed...but then again that would hit the bottom line of the agencys too hard wouldn't it.
While I agree with you, your statement concerning what NAUI and PADI permit and disallow was incorrect and you should correct it.

So you will not acknowledge that bashing PADI for something every major agency does is so offensive as to necessitate an apology? Then again, with opinions like that you may not understand what we are telling you yet.

Open Water?
Have any of you really dove in 'open water'?
I mean where you see no bottom or any other structure, just blue water, like you're in the middle of nowhere...
I dove a place in Los Cabos, called Gordes Banks.
It's a pinnacle about 100 ft down, about 10 miles off the coast.
The local dive shop put us on a panga, w/ no gps or radar. the panga driver missed the pinnacle by about a tenth of a mile. So we were dropped in the middle of the ocean with no bearings & nothing to reference our position to, swimming along at about 80 ft, looking for the ever elusive pinnacle. We sucked a tank down & never saw anything but blue water.
It was at least to say, a bit disconcerting. If this diver found herself in this type
of situation, alone, & in current, I can understand why she might had panicked.....

Last edited:
Open Water?
Have any of you really dove in 'open water'?
I mean where you see no bottom or any other structure, just blue water, like you're in the middle of nowhere...
I dove a place in Los Cabos, called Gordes Banks.
It's a pinnacle about 100 ft down, about 10 miles off the coast.
The local dive shop put us on a panga, w/ no gps or radar. the panga driver missed the pinnacle by about a tenth of a mile. So we were dropped in the middle of the ocean with no bearings & nothing to reference our position to, swimming along at about 80 ft, looking for the ever elusive pinnacle. We sucked a tank down & never saw anything but blue water.
It was at least to say, a bit disconcerting. If this diver found herself in this type
of situation, alone, & in current, I can understand why she might had panicked.....

No offence intended but is there something I'mm missing in your post? I think most posters in this thread have really dove in the kind of open water you're describing and wouldn't even consider mentioning it.

J

No offence intended but is there something I'mm missing in your post? I think most posters in this thread have really dove in the kind of open water you're describing and wouldn't even consider mentioning it.

J
No offense taken, but why would you be embarrassed in mentioning such a dive?:confused:

Sorry Randy but I am not here to offend and I will offer no apologies.
I see, so what do you call this?
PADI does not certifiy students in a pool (my bad)
Some divers (not all) DO leave the quarry thinking then can dive anywhere.....some have to realize that just because they have the money doesn't mean they should. Spend a week in the Keys, Bahamas, and many other low priced destinations to see just how many "once every other year" divers go down there and place themselves into situations they are not ready for. It happens all the time.
If you were to say that about divers in general, I would agree with you. For you to pick on people certified in one place isn't right.
Certifying in a pond is a kin to giving a drivers licenses to people after they have learned how to drive on a go kart track. Does that seem right to you? In fact I would take a quarry cert one step further and and make it equivalent to a "learners permit" with a ban on open ocean diving until further training was completed
Maybe you should make some quarry dives and then see if you still agree with your statement. People get certified in resorts all the time and don't put on 7mm wetsuits, or hassle with less visability, like a quarry has. Some of them have never even put their own gear together. People are people and where ever they dive, they want to have fun. However, the Country Club divers in the Carribean need at the very least a refresher before they go out and disturb the reef and other divers.
...but then again that would hit the bottom line of the agencys too hard wouldn't it.
Actually, the lions share of new divers come from the resorts, so no it wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom