Galileo SOL Bulge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well im not sure the manufacturers tolerance spec. we do laser scanning so if we had the CAD model we cold scan the defect and compare it back to determine the dimensional deviation. i would take a few sheets of paper. each one is about .004" thick, and i would try to measure the height of the bulge. (by using the sheets of paper as a feeler gauge) and determine the height of the bulge. I would guess the tolerance for the plastic part to be about .001" to .005".

Most likely the bulge isnt a problem. I'm sure every unit is tested for leakage and build quality. At least they should be. But having some knowledge of the surface inconsistancy wouldnt be a bad thing to know, and keepan eye on.

Thank you!!

I just took a look at my wife's Sol and there does appear to be a bulge. To be fair, this bulge is tiny. I can feel it if I run my finger over it. But it's barely visible looking right at it. You kind of have to get the right angle of light on it to see it clearly. I don't believe it's a problem. The computer has about 35 dives on it and has been down to about 120', no problems so far.

This is exactly how i would have explained it :) I think i am goin gto write this off as a mold blemish. I just wish my dam OCD would not kick in so much when i get new things:eyebrow:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Great stuff!!

Sam

This is exactly how i would have explained it :) I think i am goin gto write this off as a mold blemish. I just wish my dam OCD would not kick in so much when i get new things:eyebrow:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Great stuff!!

Sam
Actually, for the price you (and my wife) paid for that computer, I think your OCD is right. I think it's only a surface blemish, but I don't think it should be there at all. The Sol's are supposed to be the Bentley's of recreational dive computers. If yours is still in like new condition, I would consider taking it back and seeing if you couldn't get one without the blemish.

I would not worry too much about cosmetic blemishes. I am on my second plastic cover, and have a few other "custom" scratches. The unit is made to be used, and after a while it will get the inevitible dings and scratches. Just be sure to use the plastic cover that goes over the face of the unit to scratches are on it, rather than on the screen.

Dan

Hello,

I bought a package deal when i bought this computer, and at the same time i turned a fellow scuba boarder onto the deal. So to make a long story short, he just recevied his SOL and it too has the same bulge. So this has to be a mold blemish.

Anyways link Dan said above the thing will get some nice "Custom Markings", i just wanted to make sure it was mechanically sound.

Thank to all that have helped with this thread.

Sam

I would not worry too much about cosmetic blemishes. I am on my second plastic cover, and have a few other "custom" scratches. The unit is made to be used, and after a while it will get the inevitible dings and scratches. Just be sure to use the plastic cover that goes over the face of the unit to scratches are on it, rather than on the screen.

Dan

I would definitely agree.
. . . If yours is still in like new condition,

This is why my wife is sticking with her Sol. It's already got a few battle scars.

. . . i just wanted to make sure it was mechanically sound.

Sam
I still think its only a surface blemish. My wife's Sol has operated perfectly so far. Neither one of us had even noticed the blemish on our own.

It's only a surface blemish, part of the de-modling process. Spoke with Uwwatec Swiss about it today. The mold has been fixed, so the newest versions will not have it.

It's only a surface blemish, part of the de-modling process. Spoke with Uwwatec Swiss about it today. The mold has been fixed, so the newest versions will not have it.

Great! Glad to hear that.

No my question is, since i have never had it in water, should i take it back to my LDS and have them get me another one?

Do you think that mold is just a strong and sound having the blemish?

Could that in time become a problem?

The machine is only under warranty for two years.

Thanks,
Sam

Sam, I just got mine last week and did my first dives with it yesterday. I would have never noticed the bulge (slight on mine) unless you had pointed it out. Operated flawlessly, and since it has a nice warranty on it, and others are seeing it, I'm going to take the leap and assume it will be fine. My understanding is that they have been pretty good in the past identifying and recalling product when necessary. Have fun with yours!!!

no need to get a new one... should have no effect at all... plastic is relatively thick around the battery compartment (which is where the bulge is).

Hello,

I had my LDS contact SCUBAPRO, and i also have a contact there as well. Both of them stated that everyone who dives one there has "The Bump", and my contact even went through about a dozen of the new stock out of different lots, and everyone of those had it as well.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom