Galileo Sol vs Galileo Luna ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
I am purchasing a new dive computer and was going to go with the Galileo Sol based on the research I did a couple years ago.

I went to the Uwatec site and found that they now have the Galileo Luna but the issue is they appear to be the same other than a couple of optional features (PMG & Heart Monitor).

Is there any other measurable differences in these that I am not seeing?

Yes, the SOL comes with the PMG upgrade installed while it is an option on the Luna. In either case with the PMG upgrade, the trimix upgrade will not cost anything extra.

I am purchasing a new dive computer and was going to go with the Galileo Sol based on the research I did a couple years ago.

I went to the Uwatec site and found that they now have the Galileo Luna but the issue is they appear to be the same other than a couple of optional features (PMG & Heart Monitor).

Is there any other measurable differences in these that I am not seeing?

The internal hardware is basically the same; the difference is that the features you mention are not included in the Luna firmware, unless you pay for an upgrade.

If you want to take advantage of the tri-mix upgrade (when it is released later this year), you'll need to spend about 100 Euro on the PMG upgrade for the Luna. So when comparing prices between the two, you might want to add that to the cost of the Luna.

But to broaden your question a bit, dive computers have made a lot of progress in two years. You might want to do your research again and include some of the newer models (Liquivision, etc.)

Thanks all for the responses. I did look at a few of the other systems that are out there, but the top contenders seem to be the same now as they were a couple years ago.

My biggest concern is that they will roll some new stuff this year that I will want. So far the advances seem to be in eye candy and features for technical divers; neither of which are a concern for me.

I have the Sol and my wife the Luna.
The only real advantage to the Sol, is that it has the heart rate monitor. In doing so, it attempts to incorporate "work" done by the diver as an extrapolation of heart rate into the determination of deco profile. This adds another safety component which I think is excellent if you are over 40, have high blood pressure, are less than fairly fit etc.
Otherwise, they are both excellent devices.
I have my transmitter on the right and monitor on the left writs and never have any difficulty with info. The screen does an auto refresh every few minutes which appears as a quick blink. It is not a malfunction or battery problem.
Overall, I think they're one of the best algorithms and devices out there.
No doubt the moment you buy it, Scubapro will release their new device :wink:
But that's the way of the world every time I've purchased my laptops.
Good luck. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

I mostly cave dive and I am strongly biased against wireless air integration, or for that matter air integration at all. It adds a level of complexity that increases the potential for failure. It laso encourages shoddy gas planning and/or can present information that conflicts with your gas planning and turn pressure decisions. I have zero tolerance for it.

Consequently, I went with a Luna without the transmitter and added the PMG upgrade. I'd have preferred the no bells and whistles Terra, but it was discontinued and the only shop I found that still had one, wanted as much as a Luna for it.

I use a Shearwater predator as my primary on offshore and cave trimix and nitrox dives. The Luna acts as a backup and offers log, bookmark, and electronic compass functions as well as the potential for stick maps to be stored in the computer. All features that the Shearwater lacks, but the shearwater is very intuitive very easy to use, has adjustable GFs, OC or CCR capability and a superb display all built into a simple and very reliable package with excellent and prompt factory support at a very good price point.

As such the Predator and Luna work well together as each offers something the other does not and consequently both add something valuable to the dive.

My Luna has a heart rate monitor the same as the SOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom