Gas Colors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, yeah, I had to go back re-read the whole thread again. Good laughs. Funny how many of these people are still active members.

Just imagine if you could relive the whole thread, deleted posts and all. That would be fun :D.

Show off :shakehead:

being-a-moderator-moderator-demotivational-poster-1266278439.jpg

Complicating the discussion even more, US Navy Diving used this color code for years:

Air = Black
Exhaust = Silver
Helium = Buff
HeO2 = Burn Orange
Oxygen = Green

The current Navy standard is:
Table 21-1. Recompression Chamber Line Guide, page 21-4, U.S. Navy Diving Manual.
Air (High Pressure) = Black
Air (Low Pressure) = Black
Chilled Water = Blue & White
Exhaust = Silver
Fire Fighting Material = Red
Helium = Buff
Helium-Oxygen Mix = Buff & Green
Hot Water = Red & White
Nitrogen = Light Gray
Nitrogen Oxygen Mix = Light Gray & Green
Oxygen = Green
Potable Water = Blue

Naturally, the only color common to commercial gas suppliers in the US is green for O2. Attached is an image how color coding is used on some mixed gas control panels. When the whole area is a spaghetti recipe of hoses, pipes, valves, and cylinders; color codes are really important.

Attachments

• SSI-SupplyPanel.jpg.jpg
    SSI-SupplyPanel.jpg.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 54
Tank and valve color arent what the thread was about.

I can see in a commercial or navy supplied gas dive, you need those colors to make it completely obvious what gasses you are adjusting.

Tank and valve color arent what the thread was about.

I can see in a commercial or navy supplied gas dive, you need those colors to make it completely obvious what gasses you are adjusting.

The original question was:

…
If we go nitrox, than it's green & yellow...

has anyone come up with a Trimix color yet?

Wow.

I'm not going to rehash this entire effing thread. Read the whole thing before you start posting on a 2 year old thread.

Does a trimix tank sound any different when it explodes than a Nitrox or air tank?

Back
Top Bottom