Gauge reads high

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, the reason I posted the question was...if the gauge is inaccurate but consistently 300 psi off then, since i am the only one using it, I just go about my business....understanding this. But someone said that it is more likely to just stick one day and that they cannot be fixed you just have to buy a new one....I did not want to hear that. I was hoping someones would say..who cares? As long as you know its 300 high. So could somebody just say that so I can save 100 dollars?

Who cares. As long as you are confident you know what your gas status is, it shouldn't matter. And I don't see how a constant inaccuracy effect the chance of it sticking or failing in any way. Spend that money on a couple extra dive.

thanks....thats what I think. the inaccuracy is constant. I cannot remember if that has a transducer in it or how it actually works....I think I had that in Dm class but don't rememeber

yea, yea, its not there anymore tommy!! YOU ARE RIGHT, ENOUGH ABOUT MY GAUGE, I AM NOT HANDLING ANOTHER EQUIPMENT FAILURE VERY WELL ,TOM. I have been diving with my inflator disconnected for a year, my henderson is splitting, AND now this. I am telling you, if they don't get this gear mo bettah, I am going to go hawaiian style.

I don't know for sure how true it is, but I've heard people say that a bourdon tube like that used in most SPGs will start to read higher and higher just before it fails.

Can anybody confirm or deny that?

I think you are right...that is what the repair guy says. ok thats it. sorry for dragging this out. Bourbon tube, yea..rings a bell...Mikey repair guy said "Nope, throw it away, because eventually those things just stick.

I have seen bourdon tube gauges (not spg or scuba related) read high for years. Usually happens because of overpressurization or a spike bends the tube.
Just my $.03

Although mine is off and I don't fix it, let me just point out the reason we should have an accurate gauge. If anyone else ever needs to read your gauge, say in a rescue or emergency, it could be important to know the true amount of gas you have. Many people consider your gas as their backup gas. Of course, you could just brief your buddy, but it just adds another issue into the equation that easily doesn't need to be there.

Again, I'm a hypocrite 'cause I haven't fixed mine in hundreds of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom