GBR Liveaboard question - guided dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heather_scubatravel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there

I am planning on doing a liveaboard out of Cairns this November. I haven't fully decided which one yet but my short list is scubapro, oceanquest and kangaroo explorer....these are my choices mostly due to budget restraints!

I'm a young female, traveling solo with ~60dives. I am nervous because every single one of my dives I have had the same buddy... but unfortunately my fiance isn't able to join me on this trip.

How will I find a buddy on the trip? Will the crew match me up with another single with similar dive experience? If i want to dive with a divemaster will I have to pay extra for the guided dives? Safety is obviously my main concern here! I think I have been spoiled rotten by having the same buddy and max 6:1 diver to divemaster ratios for most of my diving experiences!

I'd appreciate any advice!!
Heather

Hi Heather,

Yes, the crew will find you a buddy with similar diving experience to dive with you during your Great Barrier Reef trip. There is a charge of between 10 AUD to 15 AUD for a guided dive in groups. You could pay for a private guide but I don't think your budget constraints will allow this expense.

The dive sites on your favoured trips are nice and easy so it may be a great way to gain confidence in diving with a different buddy.

The diving procedures, efficency and professionalism of the crew make for very safe diving - have a look at our trip report for Scubapro.

Hi Heather,

On The Spot has answered your question, but also it is worth noting that on al the boats there is usually at least 2 crew in the water on each of the dives. Some are instructors withg courses, and others DMs acting as guides or taking photos. Although the best way is to pay for a guide on some of the dives, you can always stay close to the crew when in the water.

The dive sites for each of the 2 boats above are also close to the edge of the Reef and easy to navigate. If you do get lost for some reason you can just surface and either swim back, or give a signal and the dive tender can pick you up. All very safe and controlled.

Most passengers are in a similar situation to you and so funding a buddy is sorted out on teh boat as On The Spot mentions.

You will have great trip whichever one of the boats you pick. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any specific info on any of the boats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Hey heather, I just got back from Cairns, had an AMAZING time doing two liveaboards... If you can, I'd HIGHLY recommend looking into Deep Sea Divers Den's two liveaboards, the Ocean Quest and the Taka. I did the Ocean Quest 6 day course/liveaboard (two days of classroom/pool, then 4 days on the Ocean Quest on the GBR) and the Taka 5 day trip (5 days out on the Ribbon Reefs, and Coral Sea, including Cod Hole and Osprey Reef, all while doing my Nitrox cert). They were absolutely incredible trips, the staff and boats were wonderful, the diving was fantastic, really a top notch operation; I don't hesitate one bit to recommend them to anyone looking to dive out there. On the Ocean Quest if you want to hire a guide it's $15 AUD per dive, but if you just want a dive buddy they'll match you up with someone with your experience and/or someone looking to do what you want to do (i.e.- if you're into photography they'll match you up with another photographer; if you want to find some depth, they'll match you up with someone looking to find some depth, etc.). On the Taka they'll match you up, too (about 1/4 of the divers on our boat didn't come with dive buddies) or give you a guide for free. On both boats everyone was able to find folks to dive with, and everyone was happy with the buddies they found to dive with. I'll post a full review later (possibly tonight) with pics.

I would never Recommend Divers Den and Taka it sucked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom