GC and Jamaca trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qglad

Reaction score
I have just returned from a week long cruise with Holland America Lines and had two days a very enjoyable diving.

Day One - Grand Cayman (George Town):

I booked the dives through Fisheye Scuba. I got off the ship at the pier and asked around for Fisheye but all the cab operators thought that Fisheye was out of business. I found a pay phone, gave them a call, and was on my way to the boat with little hassle. The great part of this story is how helpful cab drivers, tour operators, and bystanders where in helping me find out where I needed to go and then LENT me their personal cell phone to make the call. The folks working the pier in Grand Cayman understand the value of the tourist industry and went out of their way to help us even though they did not directly benefit. GREAT JOB!!!

We got to the public beach where the Fisheye boat is running out of right now, loaded our gear and set out for the dive site with no delay. The boat ran with only 4 divers on board which made for some very nice un-crowded dive conditions. The first dive was accompanied by Mat, the captain/DM. After our first dive Mat was comfortable with our skills and let us do our own thing on the remaining 2 dives. All dives were briefed well with lots of details and suggestions on what we would be seeing, terrain, conditions, wildlife, etc. We made maximum use of our bottom time and got in some 50-60 min dives on the last two tanks. At the end of the day Mat gave us a ride back to the pier and we got back on ship with no problems. I give five stars and a great thanks to Mat and Fisheye scuba for the excellent trip!

Day Two - Jamaica (Ochos Rios):

I booked our dive though the ship shore excursion desk. The ship brought us to the dive boat and we waited a few minutes on the beach waiting for the boat. After the boat showed up we left immediately and filled out paperwork/checked credentials on the way to the dive site.

I have to admit that I was not impressed with the boat crew on their customer service and friendliness. The first dive was done with a very minimum dive brief and was lead by the DM at 100 ft. After the first dive the DM asked for a $25 dollar tip to take us to a "Better Dive site" than was the original destination for the second dive. Not wanting to be dropped in the sand flats at 35ft, we gave up the money and set off for the second site. Have way to the site we stopped at the Sandals resort to pick up a second diver. This is where the story really gets good! The boat did not have enough gear on board for the additional diver, so the DM gave his BC and second tank to this diver and led the second dive by carrying the tank he used on the first dive in his arms... he was wearing a 5 mil suit so he had to add weight to his belt to be negative... but I'm sure this is NOT PADI approved (maybe that is the way they teach it in NAUI?) We were rushed through both dives with a bottom time of about 40 min and I came up with over 1000psi on both tanks. After we got back to the pier they loaded hustled us off and loaded a group of snorkelers. I wasn't able to get the name of the operator but I know they service both the cruise ships and sandals resorts.

The diving was great in Both GC and Jamaica, warm water with miles of Vis. Lots of pretty fish, etc. But the experience was night and day. If Jamaica ever wants to get on the map, the had better start with the idea that the customer is not a cash register and needs to be cared for.

I'd callt he cruise line and complain about having to pay $25 bucks for the 2nd dive after you'd already over-paid for the dive through the cruise line.

That was one thing I noticed about the Jamacians, most of them don't have any trouble taking tourist money for any reason.

Geez, I dove Jamaica ten years ago, and can't imagine that things have improved much.

I could create a long list of reasons why I won't return there instead of a few dozen other wonderful locales, but too keep it short and sweet, the diving blew. The reefs in the multiple locations I saw where tore up and largely dead.. Lots of bleached dead coral. Sad really. I would be shocked if anyone could contend that the reefs had recovered in any measureable way in tens years, especially since I haven't seen indications that the economics of the isle have changed that led to the conditions.

Actually the diving in Negril area was much better than expected. I was quite surprised.

Even though your diving there wasn't great, hopefully you were able to at least pick up some 100% Blue Mountain Jamacian Coffee. Man that's great stuff!

About what I would expect unfortunately. How was the diving in GC compared to Jamaica? You rate them as both great. What were the differences? How would rate them on a comparison scale of one to ten?

Tim Ingersoll:
About what I would expect unfortunately. How was the diving in GC compared to Jamaica? You rate them as both great. What were the differences? How would rate them on a comparison scale of one to ten?

Of course the diving was beter in GC than in Jamaca. The difference is in how they treat the reef systems. In GC it is a nature sanctuary and seen as a resource for the travel industry with heavy fines for abusing it. In Jamaca we saw Lobster traps set out in all the sand flats. As you can imagine we saw alot more wildlife in GC than we did in Jamaca. However, there was still lots to see and lots of wildlife in Jamaca.

In both Locations we dove with a minimal amout of divers on the boat (GC - 4, Jam - 4) which always makes for a nice dive. Weather, water temp, and visability was all comparable.

Max Depth: GC d1-105, d2-60 d3-45, Jamaca d1-80, d2-60

All dives were made on live reefs. The condition of the reefs in Jamaca where somewhat less than that of GC. The only exception was the second dive in Jamaca which was on a nice intact wreck and some nice swim threws on underwater rook/dead coral formations. I quite enjoyed that dive as the wreck had some really nice open penetrations. With only two of us penetrating the wreck.

Again. We only dove one day in each location and I would say the deciding factor on how much we enjoyed our time was the way we where treated by the locals and staff.

Thanks for the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom