Gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way to go Touf... getting certified in the gear you plan to use does make sense!

touf:
am not sure hy I picked this brand other than for the fact that I really liked the BC I tried on,
Be sure you try it with the tank ON.

Based on where you are going to be diving, and the fact that you've already checked out the BC and like it - I don't even know if any advice is warranted. It seems you've thought it through and have come up with very good choices based on your wants and needs.

I would say do the Morphos LE instead of the Morphos pro as it's slightly more streamline in the water, is made of more durable material, and with your SB discount, you can get into one for well below $400... Especially if we package everything together.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresLEMorphosMetalTech

The only other thing I would talk to you about is the wrist computer vs console.. I know this is an old topic - but I'll give you my take real quick. I like my computer all together with the pressure. If not getting something like a wrist AI computer, then I'd do a console with the pressure gauge, and computer together. Here's the reasons...

I find a wrist computer to be kinda bulky, they get in the way when putting your left arm into the bc vest. When I want to reach in behind some coral to tickle an octopus or lobster out so I can shoot a picture, it gets hung up on stuff. When I get back on the boat, it's too big to leave on my wrist, so I take it off and put it "somewhere".

(Boy if I ever discover where "somewhere" is, do you know how much stuff is there?! Keys, sunglasses, wallets, important papers... and yes... wrist dive computers.)

Ok, I left my main reason for last. A computer gives you information that is critical for the dive. So does the pressure gauge. I see no reason to separate these two pieces of information. It would be like an Indy driver having a tach on his wrist, but the rest of the gauges on the console... why?

Many a time, I've asked a diver how much air they had, they would glance at their wrist computer and tell me they are fine - I see them looking at it all the time, but then I notice their gauge, and they're down to 500 psi at 90 feet of depth.

But they become fixated with the computer - and never look at the gauge. If they are together - when you look at one - you get to glace at the other. So I prefer either an AI computer or a console with the pressure and computer together.

Just got an email from Scubatoys. My equipment is on the UPS truck.
Woohoo...............
Larry gave me some great help and it qas a pleasure buying from them.
Just need to get back to San Diego now.

Is this forum a great place or what?

hi there . try to keep your equpiment as simple as possible. sherwood is a common reg and is easily serviced. i use an oceanic prodigy computer. after purchasing this computer and using it for 8 years . 5 of which i used it for over 700 dives a yaer it gave up the ghost but to my surprise for a mere 85 bucks i could ship it back to oceanic and have it rebuilt. i have done this 4 times with this computer and everytime its like having a new one. the warranty they have is great. they even upgrade old computers for new models. i have 2 datamax computers that are unservicable and can ship those back for a new veo 100 for 175 bucks. i spent big money on a zeagle severe t-50 and that reg has never failed me . i dive in 36 f water all winter 4 tanks a day for at least 100 days from october to the end of april.if you plan on diving alot in cold water i would recommend a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom