Gear and travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving since 1989, and I've been schlepping my own equipment, fins, masks (usually at least 3), BCD, Regulator, Console with Computer, on every dive trip since I bought equipment in 1990 after my very first dive trip. I keep everything well maintained, and I know that I can trust it. Even with Dive Ops now occasionally offering free rental equipment, I'm more comfortable with my own equipment.

A big issue with renting is sizes.
If you are very small (or very large) it may be hard to find gear that fits.

We take all of our own gear.

Always take my own gear. I am not trusting someone I don't know to provide me with what I want and need. Divers take their own gear. Underwater tourists usually do not. You can spot them bouncing off the reef, killing coral, running out of air, and needing someone else to plan their dives for them.

Bring all my own stuff. Will leave clothes, underwear, and/or toiletries home if necessary to make room for dive gear.

A big issue with renting is sizes.
If you are very small (or very large) it may be hard to find gear that fits.

We take all of our own gear.

By far the biggest issue we've run in to. On a recent trip with my boys, 1 diving/1 snorkelling, finding properly fitting wetsuits for them was nearly impossible.

I take mine. It was bought to use, I'm bigger/chubbier than average, I like stuff I'm most familiar with and a greater comfort level in the water (even if only psychological) might translate to better gas use, more enjoyment, etc...

Okay, this is gender-stereotyping up the whah-zoo, but I'm gonna ask anyway. You indicated a woman challenged you taking dive gear, which presumably takes up limited luggage space. If your dive gear weren't going, by any chance would your wife be re-purposing that space to haul more stuff (such as clothes)?

I, too, travel with a woman (wife). Trying to get the dive trip mentality of minimalist packing into her is, weeeell, let's just say it's a work in progress.

Richard.

So the missus and I were having this discussion the other night - she wanted to know why we are taking all our own gear with when going on a dive holiday. (Yes she is not a diver and probs won't ever dive) so I told her all about reliability, being familiar with your own gear etc.

So the question came, how many people actually take all their own gear and how many will rent the gear at the local dive operator?

Would be interesting to know and if you could also indicate what certification you hold as I believe most DM's and Instructors would only use their own gear!!!

Cheers
I have an vacation diver OW certification and we take everything (but not tanks or weights since we do not own any and they supply them anywAy).

I go by the mantra of "never rent if you own" (except weights & tAnk!)

If you step back and think a bit this is a no nobrainer. I own it, I can pack it, I don't need that other stuff.

We both take all of own gear, and with a new diver in the family, he will also be hauling his own gear as he acquires it. We're just recreational divers and never having to be concerned with quality, maintenance history or sizing of rental gear are things that won't interfere with our enjoying the diving. We have yet to incur any additional baggage fees so it has never been an issue.

i'm sorry, what language is that? lol

and to answer the OP's question, we take our own gear

Depends on where I am going.

If I know the local dive op and it's gear habits, I'm okay with renting.

There is no huge trick to fully inspect a BC and reg set to see if it will survive the dive.

I believe that a large part of the "own your gear" mantra was best evidenced by the continuing "full page ad" in Dive Training that repeated it seemingly forever. It was a thinly veiled sales plug for the industry.

Inspecting rental gear is nothing more or less than you should be fully capable of doing every time you use your own stuff.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom