gear bag suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharknut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
k so im considering buying a new gear bag and im leaning towards one of the mesh backbacks but i was just wondering if they have enough space to hold an entire set of gear, thanks

k so im considering buying a new gear bag and im leaning towards one of the mesh backbacks but i was just wondering if they have enough space to hold an entire set of gear, thanks

I have the backpack style and I stopped using it and went back to the dufflebag style because in the longrun it has the better layout.
The duffle makes it easier to find smaller items and better placement of your gear and easier stowage onboard most dive boats.
The duffle doesn't bend your fins and it airs out better.

The only thing I liked about the backpack style was that you could carry it as a backpack.

JMTCW

I have used XS Scuba's semi hard-sided big roller zippered bag with the pull handle and backpack straps for 5 years now and have dove it around the world to hell and back. Wholeheartedly endorse, they make a single diver version as well.

Since I plan on doing local dives I wish I had just got a plastic tupperware bin of some type instead of a gearbag. That way my wetsuit isn't leaching saltwater and piss into the trunk of the car. Just a thought.

Since I plan on doing local dives I wish I had just got a plastic tupperware bin of some type instead of a gearbag. That way my wetsuit isn't leaching saltwater and piss into the trunk of the car. Just a thought.

That's exactly what I have for transporting my wet gear in the trunk of my car.
Lowe's and Home Depot normally have the Rubbermaid brand for under $10 and I have them in different colors to quickly indentify what is in which container.

What will you use the bag for?

I use a crate for dives where I will drive to location and assemble my kit before going on a boat.

For flying and liveaboards, I use a regular hard-wearing dufflebag (Northface expedition bag). I don't like to advertise that I have expensive scuba kit... so I avoid using 'branded' dive bags. Luggage / weight allowance on flights is a big issue. The ability to stow away the bag, once empty, is also important.

I have an Akona mesh backpack. After using it for several months now I wish I had gone with the duffle. But it is nice to carry on your back!

I like this one. It doesn't scream dive gear to those 3rd world baggage handlers looking to make a quick buck:
eBags Mother Lode eTech Junior 25" Wheeled Duffel - eBags.com
I also have the mesk akona (larger one with the moulded handle). I use the mother lode one to get the gear there and the mesk to take to and from the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom