How to tether things to my BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RXTdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have a hand held underwater metal detector about 15" long. See that loophole at the bottom? It's probably small enough to fit a shoestring through it. I also bought some mesh collection bags.

1. I want to tether the metal detector to my BCD. I want it long enough that I can still hold it out at arm's length in front of me. I want to find a way to tether it to my
BCD that way in case I drop it, I don't lose it. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. The mesh collection bags around about 7" x 9". There are small loops when you tighten it. How can I attach one or two of these mesh bags to my BCD?

Attachments

• Metal Detector.png
    Metal Detector.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Metal Detector Hole.jpg
    Metal Detector Hole.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 42
  • Mesh Bags.png
    Mesh Bags.png
    276 KB · Views: 52
I use mono leader material and crimps to fasten bolt snaps to a lot of things. It works well.

Some divers use bolt snaps to secure almost everything attached to their bcd. I also use bolt snaps for somethings, but use retractors (Gear Keeper Scuba Console Snap Clip Locking Retractor) for other things that I want to hold at arm's length periodically, and then release without having to reconnect to a D ring. If you decide to use retractors, understand you have to give them a thorough rinsing in freshwater, cycling the cord in and out multiple times, if diving in saltwater. It you fail to rinse thoroughly, it won't be long before the salt clogs the rewinding mechanism. I have a couple retractors that I have had for 10 years, after I learned not to give them just a cursory rinse.

Does anyone have a good source for double ended brass bolt snaps? It seems that they would be very useful for attaching a variety of items in a variety of places. I've seen cheap nickel plated ones, but I'm guessing they wouldn't last in a salt environment.
🐸

Does anyone have a good source for double ended brass bolt snaps? It seems that they would be very useful for attaching a variety of items in a variety of places. I've seen cheap nickel plated ones, but I'm guessing they wouldn't last in a salt environment.
🐸
I use stainless steel bolt snaps. They have held up better than brass ones I have used. Most LDS have them or online at a place like Scuba.com.

🐸
I use these from scuba.com I bought the multi-pack of this since I lose them often could not find them on the site for some reason.

Retractors are one option, but prone to corrosion. I would use a simple boltsnap and clip that to a bungee loop around my wrist when using it.

Since this is in the Basic forum and the OP doesn't appear to have much experience, it's probably worth spending a minute to talk about bolt snaps. I know I was confused when I first encountered the term.

These are examples of bolt snaps, plus a double ender on the right:
acc671.jpg

The snap end is for one of the D-rings on your BCD or harness. The solid end is for tying to whatever piece of equipment you are trying not to lose. The reason for tying on the snap is that you can cut it free if the equipment gets entangled. If you have a metal to metal connection you could end up stuck.

Since the whole point of using the snap is that it lets you free yourself, you want to attach it with something that you can easily cut with the cutting device you are always carrying (right?). "Cave line" - #24 (1.85mm) braided nylon line - is the most common stuff used for tying on snaps because technical divers already have it in abundance. But there are other options like thinner #18 to #20 cave line, the Chairman's monofilament, or DGX hose clip retainers . Zip ties are a bad idea for most uses since they tend to break when you don't want them to and they weaken over time.

If you go with cave line, you'll need to learn the correct knot. There are plenty of videos if you search "tie bolt snap" on YouTube. This is the one I learned from:

Achim has another video covering selecting and using bolt snaps that is well worth a watch:

Make sure you get marine grade/scuba snaps. They should state that they are stainless steel with a stainless steel spring.

I use braided construction line from home depot. Make a couple loops through the hole and your bolt snap then tie and melt the ends into the knot. I then put a drop or 2 of super glue onto the knot to ensure it stays put. Once that is done I put a small zip tie through the mounting hole and the bolt snap as a backup to the string.

20230902_172209.jpg
20230902_172214.jpg

🐸
Brass bolt snaps will eventually get a sharp edge where your pull down to open or and either cut you or your glove. Stainless steel is the only real option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom