How to tether things to my BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1693698031558.png

Horrible pic. I was working on 3D printing a hand mount. Since you always double clip a light, I used mono to attach it to a bolt snap.

FWIW, I hate retractors. Huge entanglement hazard in my opinion. :D

You can find double ender stainless bolt snaps at Home Depot. Look at the label carefully, make sure they are stainless, yes they do have them and before anyone doubts me and tells me I’m wrong, I know what stainless is! They are twice the price of zinc coated steel. They are around $14 I think?
I’ve been using two or three now in the ocean for months and they are working fine. No corrosion.

You can find double ender stainless bolt snaps at Home Depot. Look at the label carefully, make sure they are stainless, yes they do have them and before anyone doubts me and tells me I’m wrong, I know what stainless is! They are twice the price of zinc coated steel. They are around $14 I think?
I’ve been using two or three now in the ocean for months and they are working fine. No corrosion.
About $10 here. I've been using them from home depot for a few years in salt and no issues.
Screenshot_20230902_164755_Home Depot.jpg

Get the Halcyon, Diverite or OMS bolt snaps and double Enders. They stay much smoother for longer most of those cheap ones use a mild steel spring and get gummed up
Do you know this for sure that all stainless bolt snaps from Home Depot have mild steel springs?
Does Halcyon, Diverite, and OMS each have their own bolt snap making factory so they can be absolutely sure that they use 302 stainless springs, or do you think they source their stuff like everyone else?

I then put a drop or 2 of super glue onto the knot to ensure it stays put.

I’ve been doing the same for years. Works incredibly well. Makes it a permanent knot that remains cuttable in an emergency. I’ve never had a glued knot cone untied ever. Only way to remove the knot is to cut the line.

I use this method to attach bolt snaps to lights, whistles, GoPro handles, regulator hoses, etc. Works incredibly well.

Do you know this for sure that all stainless bolt snaps from Home Depot have mild steel springs?
Does Halcyon, Diverite, and OMS each have their own bolt snap making factory so they can be absolutely sure that they use 303 stainless springs, or do you think they source their stuff like everyone else?

We’ll they don’t use 303 they use 316. I’ve had and seen a bunch of all of them. The ones I listed consistently open smoothly over years of use. Unlike the cheap ones.

I’m not sure how much manufacturing experience you have but when you have other companies make stuff for you, you get to specify what parts and metals are used…

I’m not sure how much manufacturing experience you have but when you have other companies make stuff for you, you get to specify what parts and metals are used…
I’ve had stuff manufactured/laser cut for me for my stainless products. I specify domestic product only.
With Chinese stainless you can specify whatever you want but that doesn’t mean you’ll be getting what you ask for. Sometimes they don’t even know what they’re getting if they have to internally source components for things like bolt snaps. The Chinese do not have to verify anything, if they tell you something is 304 or 316 you’re supposed to just take their word for it. I got some Chinese 316 once and it was more magnetic than the domestic 304 I use. I got some Chinese 304 (supposed) square tube because domestic was not available and the magnet stuck like it was regular steel. Who knows what crap they mix into the alloy. The domestic 304 I buy is barely magnetic to the point where a very strong hard drive magnet will barely stick and maybe even not at all. Domestic 304 is consistent and worlds better that Chinese 316 which is completely unpredictable. So depending on where these companies source their bolt snaps that week could make a big difference. How many of them do you think put the time in to trace the country of origin?
My point is that unless you know for certain that all components of those bolt snaps are made domestically with verified materials you really have no idea what you’re getting. It’s possible even products supposedly made in USA have Chinese springs in them and if that’s the case all bets are off. What I’m saying is the double enders I bought at HD work fine and have held up. The springs have not corroded and have not gunked up. If they did I check them first to see if a piece of seaweed got stuck in there.
Are they made in China, IDK? I don’t really care because it’s not worth the effort to worry about it and they work fine so far. Just about everything is made in China so it’s a loosing battle and a moot point. I think you’d have a hell of a time finding a bolt snap made here even if the information was easily accessible, which it is not.

Brass bolt snaps will eventually get a sharp edge where your pull down to open or and either cut you or your glove. Stainless steel is the only real option.

Emphasizing this. I'll send you some brass ones that I have retired, if you'd like to cover the postage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom