Gear care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wondering how people care for their stuff.

I know ideally hanging would be preferably for almost everything but I don't think allocating a hanging space will be possible with the amount of other stuff to store.

I am planning to buy a large roller bin (link) to put all my gear in when not diving to allow it to be stored in the garage (not generally in use other than for storage).

Was thinking my wetsuit would be ok laid on top of my BCD, regs etc when not in use (after drying).

I am lucky enough to have a garage to hang wetsuit till dry, then I have a rod across the top of walk in closet so I can hang it when dry. again, lucky my wife uses the closest in the spare room. I would suggest, if you need to lay it out, you rotate it occasionally to prevent creases.

be very careful in the garage. If you park your cars in there, or have an outside fridge/freezer you do NOT want to store any gear out there... It degrades neoprene and hoses very very quickly...

be very careful in the garage. If you park your cars in there, or have an outside fridge/freezer you do NOT want to store any gear out there... It degrades neoprene and hoses very very quickly...
Just curious I figure the fumes from the car can degrade neoprene but how does a fridge or freezer degrade neoprene I don't understand

I hang my reg in my closet basements are damp and can cause foul tasting air everything else is hung up in a closet in the basement with a dehumidifier as well as a fresh air vent pump so that the air circulates and prevents musty smells over winter when I don't use my gear as often during summer it's usually hanging outside in the shade to dry since I dive almost everyday it rarely gets brought inside eventually I will make a closed back room that is heated for all my gear which seems to be piling up since the more I dive the more things I accumulate my gf thinks I'm crazy for purchasing all this gear btw but she knows I love diving and accepts my spending knowing full well that maybe one day my spending will stop or she will start spending money on dive gear as well I'm just glad she is patient with my spending
I'm just waiting for the ok to let me buy a compressor

no, the electric motors produce ozone as they run. The biggest issue with that in the garage is there is typically very little air flow and that is what causes the most problems. Best to leave everything inside if possible

I have a feeling, though don't know for sure, that this idea that refrigerators make ozone is a myth. They use AC induction motors and I doubt there is any sparking involved. Also modern cars are well sealed so I doubt there is much in the way of fumes from cars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom