Gear check for the wife? Does this sound reasonable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than saying what I came up with I dont see any problems that stand out. However I would make sure that she agrees with your choices and is comfortable with the gear before you drop the cash on it it is easier to buy a different piece of gear now then upgrade one later the she never wanted.

At least he didn't say "my old lady."
"Wife" is capitalized.

Because she's THE wife.

I never planned on getting married, but then I met "the one".

Hence, "Wife".

R.

OP, how do you vent air during ascent if you are on your in-line octo?

OP, how do you vent air during ascent if you are on your in-line octo?

I had inline alternate airs for several years (this reminds me I've got a couple in a box that need to be listed in classifeds section).
Venting on ascent is definitely a practiced skill...breath in, vent, purge reg, breath in, etc. In real situations it's alot of task loading. You have to stay focused.
It is much easier if the bcd has a shoulder dump valve on the right shoulder.
YMMV

I had inline alternate airs for several years (this reminds me I've got a couple in a box that need to be listed in classifeds section).
Venting on ascent is definitely a practiced skill...breath in, vent, purge reg, breath in, etc. In real situations it's alot of task loading. You have to stay focused.
It is much easier if the bcd has a shoulder dump valve on the right shoulder.
YMMV
That's kinda my point. It is one thing to stick the in-line octo in your mouth now and then and get used to the exchange and to breathing it, it is quite another to use it while ascending, especially if the person using your primary is on the edge of panic, which would not be unusual.

The integrated-with-inflator octos usually have a bump halfway up the corrugated hose, which is attached to the cord inside to dump at the left shoulder. But the add-on in-line inflators like the Shadow and the Airwave have two ;problems: (1) no easy way to dump, so you can go for the task loading as you describe (if you don't have a right-shoulder dump, and (2) they do not have the large-diameter hose feeding them like the integrated units, so the air-flow is restricted, and you can't breath hard and fast and deep from them. All in all, I think they are dangerous rather than desirable.

That's kinda my point. It is one thing to stick the in-line octo in your mouth now and then and get used to the exchange and to breathing it, it is quite another to use it while ascending, especially if the person using your primary is on the edge of panic, which would not be unusual.

The integrated-with-inflator octos usually have a bump halfway up the corrugated hose, which is attached to the cord inside to dump at the left shoulder. But the add-on in-line inflators like the Shadow and the Airwave have two ;problems: (1) no easy way to dump, so you can go for the task loading as you describe (if you don't have a right-shoulder dump, and (2) they do not have the large-diameter hose feeding them like the integrated units, so the air-flow is restricted, and you can't breath hard and fast and deep from them. All in all, I think they are dangerous rather than desirable.
Its a valid point but I think at least to some extent the difficulty is over emphasized. Speaking for myself at least, I never had to do that much venting while ascenting in typical recreational gear. Going from say 80 to 20 I might at most vent twice. I may be out of touch with my beginner roots but I never found this to be a particular issue. But I admit that I never practiced it while doing an actual air share which would add to the task loading.

But this is a husband and wife pair that have the oppotunity to be intimately familar with each others gear and to practice and make adaptations as needed.

Interesting, the dislike of the inline Octo-- I've used one like that for at least ten years and really, really like it. I do a practice swap with it every single dive I do and to me it's very natural. It breathes well and is low enough on the inflator tube (I have an unusually long one at 19") that it fits quite easily in my mouth with no having to lean my head over.

That's the ticket, practice and like how it works for you. Although you might be told what the best configuration is, the actual best configuration is the one that you know and works for you in an emergency situation. I have used a number of different configurations over the years, and from what I've experienced, they all work if you are farmiliar with them and practice, including old school double and single hose without an alternate.

I'm not a fan is the baby seconds, but I haven't hardly any time with them so that's on me, I used the old full sized shadow reg, and later on an integrated Oceanic with a pull dump when I used a reg on my inflator.

You might want to try the bungeed backup on the new reg, it is a very simple arrangement, easy to use in an emergency, and you can be proficient on it quickly. Something to think about.

Bob

Seeing that you have gotten loads of guys answers to gear for a woman, I figured I'd chime in. I was curious as to why she is adamant against a BP/W? (And add a +1 for equal primary/secondary)
My experience is that a BP/W will sitt better, more balanced and stay away from all the "female bits". It causes less clutter. Boobs are not squashed, and I need less additional lead.

I would definitely get her a DSMB and reel. Please teach her how to use it. I've seen people who carry one because it's required on the dive boat but have never deployed it. Ugh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom