Gear failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks:

Not sure if this is the right forum or group for this, so please either a) change it if you're an administrator or b) understand that i didn't know where else to put it (if you're a reader).

Did a couple of dives VERY far offshore this past weekend, and had a guy on my boat that had one of those wireless computers that monitors everything, including the pressure in his tank (transmitter on first stage). He had tested all of this stuff the night before and had no problems. Prior to the first dive, he found out that his computer was not receiving pressure information from his transmitter; just got a big, old, fat error message. And he didn't have an spg either. We managed to work out a solution for him, but the message here is that had he wanted to dive using his existing configuration he would have had issues as he would have had no idea as to his gas pressure.

So before anybody slams me on this, a couple of things: this guy is really current, probably 100 dives per year. batteries were brand new, and the unit is a major brand name that i shall not mention here. And it was working no less than 12 hours prior to this dive.

My message: wireless is really neat and cool, but maybe want to have a backup??? We were so far away from anything that might have helped his computer that there really weren't any options. There are those in the school of thought that having an spg just provides another point of failure. i disagree; in almost 30 years of diving i've seen that exactly one time and it wasn't catastrophic (an hp hose failure will take ~20 minutes or so to drain an AL80. Let's not flame me if you disagree). There have been extensive discussions on this board regarding both configuration, but just thought i'd throw this out there.

food for thought...

erik

not so much, but i've seen it happen with suunto devices as well...

e

Its funny you mentioned this, but I have talked with someone who had the exact same problem except for the fact that he did have an SPG so it wasn't that big of a deal (just a P.I.T.A.). I am not a big fan of leaving everything up to a computer. If I did have an air integrated computer I would defintely be smart and have an SPG clipped to my BC techie style at the very least, but maybe I am just being overly careful. Heck, when I decided to get a new computer I just began carrying both computers in the very unlikely event my computer just craps out at depth. My logic is that I always want a back up. I have two computers that tell me my depth, yet I still have a depth gauge on my console. Back-ups are only silly and stupid to other people until you have to use them or donate them to the idiot who wasn't prepared.

Wireless underwater has never appealed to me, and failures are well known. I dive an SPG and two dive computers always. :cool:

I agree...

All of the integration you need is between your ears.

Adding electronics, let alone wireless electronics to monitoring cylinder contents can do nothing but degrade reliability

Integration gets a high rating on the gadget meter and is best at helping you part with your $$$.

The notion of streamlining by elimination of a hose is nonsense.

Just say no.

Pete

Just on the assumption that technology failures are not always 'tech related', is it possible that during the test the guy left the first stage pressurized after turning the valve off and so left the transmitter 'transmitting' under pressure the entire night?

I have posted before about a diver in Cozumel who had a wireless computer failure during the first dive of the day. The really funny part about the whole thing was that he was sort of snickering about mine and my wife's gear setups on the boat ride out to the first dive. He commenting about how behind the times we were. We have wrist computers (not wireless) and use analog gauges as our primary source of tank pressure.....imagine my inner grin while trying to look outwardly sympathetic on the boat road to dive #2. No, I didn't tamper with his stuff.

Bottom line is that I LOVE the convenience of diving with my wrist computer, but I will always have my analog gauges as well. It just make good sense to me.

I have a Vytec and have experienced problems when I am attempting to synchronizing with the sending unit. I also have a SPG as a backup so when I am not able to get the vytec to lock onto the sending unit I wouldn't have to abort or cancel my dive. I love it when it works but it's almost like if it fails to synchronize on the first try, then good luck!

two is one and one is none! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom