Gear issue on dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigd2722

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Interesting experience yesterday, doing a fairly deep dive >100 feet.

Jumped in went down and found out that my power inflator was not working (had worked on the surface gear check).

My first reaction was to abort. My second reaction was to do a risk assesment. Everything else worked fine. Primary, octo, and SMB inflator were all fine.

So I decided to use my lung power if needed and continue the dive.

When the dive was finished, I changed the inflator with my spare Zeagle screw on and did 2 more dives. I will disassemble the inflator today and see what happened.

What are your thoughts about continuing the dive?

thanx

Forgot to add, my pony was working also

Last edited:
Atta boy, I can't see anything wrong with what you did. You had a small problem and improvised. Wish more divers were like that.

As long as you were not weighted too heavy to begin with and were not too heavy due to suit compression at the bottom I do not see a problem. By the end of the dive your tank would be lighter and you would gain more buoyancy from your suit at the surface. If you were over weighted and using pouch weights you could have removed some, tied them off to the downline then gotten on with the dive.

I think you did good. I would have finished the dive. I keep my rig very balanced and need very little air in bc at any given time.

He just orally inflated the BC right? A most basic skill from OW dive instruction..

I don't recall orally inflating the BC underwater in OW! I recall doing it at the surface.

Mike

During an OW pool session my power inflator started inflating my BCD by itself while in the pool. My instructor had me disconnect it and orally inflate it as needed to continue the session. It was good to learn how to inflate it underwater to how to deal with equipment failures while in the water.

I don't recall orally inflating the BC underwater in OW! I recall doing it at the surface.
Mike

You must have had one of those new fangeled horsecollar with that inflater thingie on it, must be nice.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I think what you did was totally appropriate, because you were competent and comfortable enough to do it. I also like that you though about options, including aborting the dive. Sometimes that is the best option. Here, the alternative worked out. Isn't if funny how skills you are taught in your certification class actually have practical application? go figure.

DivemasterDennis

As long as you were not weighted too heavy to begin with and were not too heavy due to suit compression at the bottom I do not see a problem. By the end of the dive your tank would be lighter and you would gain more buoyancy from your suit at the surface. If you were over weighted and using pouch weights you could have removed some, tied them off to the downline then gotten on with the dive.

Should have mentioned, it was a drift dive, I dive with steel tanks and no weight

Back
Top Bottom