Gear packing for NJ wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not been on the Gypsy Blood but on similar boats.
One thing that was not mentioned is that when you have a mix of rec and tech divers they don't usually assign a buddy.
You are expected to have one or whoever booked the trip has made those arrangements. Most of the boats I was on were where buddies showed up to dive or you dived solo and were expected to know how to take care of yourself.
It's not resort diving. They might help you slip your fins on or hand you the pony and maybe even clip it on. But after that, you're on your own.

1. When you get on, get your seat, set your gear down and stow what needs stowed.

2. When they start the briefing you may see some that appear to not be paying much attention to it. These are likely regulars and already know the site destination. That's not you.

3. Pay close attention to every piece of information they pass out. It'll be your job to plan your dive based on that.

4. Don't interrupt teams making a plan for their dive.

5. You can ask if someone wants to buddy up with you, but don't get bent out of shape if no one volunteers. They paid for this trip to dive the dive they want to do.

6. When they announce they are getting close it's time to gear up. 1/2 hour out - get suited up if you are not already. Rides of less than an hour I put my drysuit on before I get on the boat. At least the legs and suspenders. Longer than an hour? 45 minutes out I start to get the suit on because my gear should already be set up and only need to slip into the harness. Depending on temps and how long they expect to take to tie in.

7. 10 minutes out - sit down and slip into the harness after buttoning up the drysuit. Depending on temps and how long they expect to take to tie in.

8. After they tie in some will give the actual site/conditions briefing. PAY ATTENTION! You may need to modify your plan due to current, estimated vis, etc.

9. When they announce the pool is open - fins go on, stand up, clip on anything that needs clipped on, move to the rail/stern and drop. You may or may not have to give the ok sign to the boat before descending. They should let you know. If a current is running or you have to hand over hand to the down line, you may just have to do that as expeditiously as possible and not bother with it if everything is ok.

10. Unless you've made arrangements - there's not going to be a guide. No one is going to tell you how fast to descend or ascend, what direction to take around the wreck, where to go to see XXX, or when it's time to go up. Nobody is going to check your air. That's all on you.

11. Before your step off the boat. Make double sure your air is on. Boats that cater to tech divers know not to touch their gear.

They don't plan the dive for you at all. You are given a brief of the site and then it's on you to plan the dive and stick to the plan. As others have said, you'll tell them when you will be back and you might get away with a few minutes but not more than that.

I'd always pad my run time with a few minutes depending on the depth knowing that I was likely going to be back earlier. That gave me a minute if the ascent line was crowded and I had to wait to get around them if the current was up and I really didn't want to let go.

Thanks everyone! This community is the best!

Yep picking up tanks and pony bottle today. If the T-storms forecast tomorrow don't cancel the trip I'll get everything setup at home for a 4:30am departure.

If you have your gear, are in the area, and get blown out, shore diving is a great option (although maybe not if there are actual thunderstorms at high slack tide!).

If you have your gear, are in the area, and get blown out, shore diving is a great option (although maybe not if there are actual thunderstorms at high slack tide!).

I love this idea! I'm gonna be at the shore regardless (though further south in Cape May if it does get blown out), but I feel a little clueless on the where and how.

I love this idea! I'm gonna be at the shore regardless (though further south in Cape May if it does get blown out), but I feel a little clueless on the where and how.
I'm at the shore a LOT, and I can help you if you have specific questions about this. Feel free to message me and we can chat. My favorite dive site is right next to the marina that the Gypsy Blood uses.

Also, our dive club has a whole program for getting people into the local diving scene, including shore diving events:

Introduction to Northeast Diving

That's awesome! I wish I'd found your dive club 6 months ago. I've been trying to piece together knowledge to make this happen on my own (dry suit class, pony bottle practice, etc).

I'll definitely reach out when I have some spare time!

Runtime: Total time of dive. Begins when you start your descent (your head goes under water) and ends when your head breaks the surface at the end of the dive.

That's awesome! I wish I'd found your dive club 6 months ago. I've been trying to piece together knowledge to make this happen on my own (dry suit class, pony bottle practice, etc).

Yeah, one of the projects that I have on the back burner is a local diving wiki with a lot of the good advice that you have received upthread in one place online that we can give out in situations like this. I actually put this all together a few years ago, so I have the content, but I just have been lazy about redoing the actual wiki since we migrated the website. Your thread will inspire me to finish that work...!

Not been on the Gypsy Blood but on similar boats.
One thing that was not mentioned is that when you have a mix of rec and tech divers they don't usually assign a buddy.
You are expected to have one or whoever booked the trip has made those arrangements. Most of the boats I was on were where buddies showed up to dive or you dived solo and were expected to know how to take care of yourself.
It's not resort diving. They might help you slip your fins on or hand you the pony and maybe even clip it on. But after that, you're on your own.

1. When you get on, get your seat, set your gear down and stow what needs stowed.

2. When they start the briefing you may see some that appear to not be paying much attention to it. These are likely regulars and already know the site destination. That's not you.

3. Pay close attention to every piece of information they pass out. It'll be your job to plan your dive based on that.

4. Don't interrupt teams making a plan for their dive.

5. You can ask if someone wants to buddy up with you, but don't get bent out of shape if no one volunteers. They paid for this trip to dive the dive they want to do.

6. When they announce they are getting close it's time to gear up. 1/2 hour out - get suited up if you are not already. Rides of less than an hour I put my drysuit on before I get on the boat. At least the legs and suspenders. Longer than an hour? 45 minutes out I start to get the suit on because my gear should already be set up and only need to slip into the harness. Depending on temps and how long they expect to take to tie in.

7. 10 minutes out - sit down and slip into the harness after buttoning up the drysuit. Depending on temps and how long they expect to take to tie in.

8. After they tie in some will give the actual site/conditions briefing. PAY ATTENTION! You may need to modify your plan due to current, estimated vis, etc.

9. When they announce the pool is open - fins go on, stand up, clip on anything that needs clipped on, move to the rail/stern and drop. You may or may not have to give the ok sign to the boat before descending. They should let you know. If a current is running or you have to hand over hand to the down line, you may just have to do that as expeditiously as possible and not bother with it if everything is ok.

10. Unless you've made arrangements - there's not going to be a guide. No one is going to tell you how fast to descend or ascend, what direction to take around the wreck, where to go to see XXX, or when it's time to go up. Nobody is going to check your air. That's all on you.

11. Before your step off the boat. Make double sure your air is on. Boats that cater to tech divers know not to touch their gear.

They don't plan the dive for you at all. You are given a brief of the site and then it's on you to plan the dive and stick to the plan. As others have said, you'll tell them when you will be back and you might get away with a few minutes but not more than that.

I'd always pad my run time with a few minutes depending on the depth knowing that I was likely going to be back earlier. That gave me a minute if the ascent line was crowded and I had to wait to get around them if the current was up and I really didn't want to let go.
Couple of questions..

What’s your typical runtimes? 60mins, 90mins, 120mins?

Is it normal to ascend on the shot line or do you bag off (send up a SMB) from the wreck?

Typical depths?

What’s the current like?

Here, you inspired me to finish this project...! Might be some typos... :)

Check out the little video at the bottom of the page - will show you what it's like on the Gypsy Blood.

Diving in the NYC Area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom