Gekko vs Archimedes II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeadCactus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm having a hard time deciding between these two. I like the gauge mode and two gas features of the Archimedes. I really want a bungee strap though and (depending on how long the phosphorescence lasts) the glow in the dark feature for the Gekko could be a plus over the Archimedes II.

They were the same ones I considered. I went with the Gekko and have been quite satisfied.

Family of four divers, ages 13 and up, we have two Gekko's and two Vyper's.

Suunto's are reliable, easy-to-use, easy-to-read, conservative computers.

I actually prefer the glow-in-the-dark Gekko to the backlight of the Vyper, you just shine your light on it for a few seconds then the Gekko face glows for a long time. Don't need to push any buttons........

Never used the Archimedes II, so I can't make any comments......:)

Hope this helps........M

To appreciate the difference means to dive with a group having a variety of computers. My group has found:

Aeris/Oceanic is the least conservative and give the most bottom time for Florida coastal Diving.

Suunto is the most conservative and give the least bottom time for Florida coastal Diving.

Cressi/Dive-Rite/Tusa and other Seiko-made computers fit in between the two.

Can you download from a Gekko? Many divers do their log that way. Cressi can download, but I am a paper logbook diver.

All of these units are good and each has advantages. Happy shopping.

DeadCactus,

I've had the same experience as Stu S. Pelagic Pressure Systems (Oceanic, Aeris, Genesis, Sherwood) and Cochran have the most liberal NDL algorithms. Seiko (Dive Rite, Tusa, Cressi, Zeagle), Uwatec, and Suunto are more conservative and I have found them to be reasonably similar.

I've had a DR Nitek Duo for a bit over a year and just under a hundred dives. I like it very much for reasons that have been pointed out, 2 gases, download (I also send my dives directly to DAN for PDE). I like the average depth displayed in the log for SAC calculation. I initially used it with the wrist strap it came with but switched to the bungee mount that is readily available for these computers.

It's interesting that the Seiko computers vary considerably in cost. Scuba.com happens to have all 4 available in the US. The Cressi AII and its download kit are the least expensive of the bunch by a fair margin.

Best of luck in your shopping. Most importantly, make sure you meet all your current and short to intermediate future needs.

Good diving, Craig

Anyway to make the Gekko less conservative?

Anyway to make the Gekko less conservative?

Don't think so. Some computers have a safety factor you can select. Cressi, for example runs on SF=0, 1 or 2. None of them allow a "-1". On a typical drift dive, second dive of day, a Suunto diver will want to stay a little shallower than the others. Some of this is how the surface interval is figured into the calculations.

The difference is significant. Close to the end of dive #2, a Suunto diver gets the "beep beep" no time left signal, while the Aeris girl has like 21 minutes left. The Cressi diver would have about 6 minutes left.

The right or wrong of all this has been hotly argued. This is just my observations from diving off Jupiter, FL.

Guess the Suunto is out then. I think I'd be better served with the least conservative computer possible as I don't like to dive the timer down to zero to begin with. The Aeries and Oceanic computers in the price range seem to have a lot fewer features than the Archimedes II though.

Guess it's settled, Archimedes II it is. If only I could find a way to bungee mount it...

I think the Archimedes is the way to go. You can always bungee it yourself or get the console version. It offers so much for the money. Leisurepro had the best price. I liked mine so much I bought one for my wife.

Bungeeing the Cressi should not be a problem. The Zeagle has a bungee mount for theirs and the Cressi is identical.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom