General Questions for first timer to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well since this topic is hopping are there any other places that you might recommend to stay on the island, kinda looking for a middle of the road that we can walk to town for meals, drinks, etc. we like to venture outside of the place we stay quite a bit??

Any help would be appreciated.
azdive

To herman's point - you will be "venturing outside the place you stay" all day long, every day. Unless you plan on doing just boat diving from your resort, in which case you're "missing the boat" on what Bonaire diving has to offer!

Being able to walk to town is nice, especially if you want to drink etc. That said, it's still a pretty small place. Even staying down in Punt Vierkant (yeah I know I got that wrong) it's only a 5 minute drive to town.

akirawut hit the nail on the head, we like to enjoy one or two of what Cadushy has to offer in the evening. We are currently looking at divi and the other places in the area. And no we are not planning on spending our time on a boat. Just wanting to enjoy our time on land and ocean. we live in a car in az and enjoy when we are somewhere that we can roam around on foot.
Does anyone have any info on bruce's carib inn??
az

I've been using the same old worn mesh bag for 9 trips to Bonaire. I just leave it in the back of the truck.

This might get amusing - not sure I like the idea of leaving my fairly expensive glasses (photochromic, anti-reflective, multi-focal in good frame) in an unattended, unlocked truck. So I may end up driving around using my mask that also has prescription lenses.

This might get amusing - not sure I like the idea of leaving my fairly expensive glasses (photochromic, anti-reflective, multi-focal in good frame) in an unattended, unlocked truck. So I may end up driving around using my mask that also has prescription lenses.

Don't take them. Take an old pair of glasses, put some cheap clip ons on them and carry them in a hard case during the dive. Glasses are designed to handle sweat which is as corrosive as salt water so dunking an old pair of glasses is not going to hurt them. A quick rinse after the dive from your water bottle and you are ready to go. Put your fancy glasses back on at the resort.

Don't take them. Take an old pair of glasses, put some cheap clip ons on them and carry them in a hard case during the dive. Glasses are designed to handle sweat which is as corrosive as salt water so dunking an old pair of glasses is not going to hurt them. A quick rinse after the dive from your water bottle and you are ready to go. Put your fancy glasses back on at the resort.

Yes, that's probably the best solution. I have an older pair with titanium frames and a hard plastic case in which I'll drill some drain holes so it fills and empties quickly.

akirawut hit the nail on the head, we like to enjoy one or two of what Cadushy has to offer in the evening. We are currently looking at divi and the other places in the area. And no we are not planning on spending our time on a boat. Just wanting to enjoy our time on land and ocean. we live in a car in az and enjoy when we are somewhere that we can roam around on foot.
Does anyone have any info on bruce's carib inn??
az
Here's the website for Carib Inn Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn, Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean - Scuba Diving and Accommodations - Home Page, what do you want to know? Small private op, right on the water, beautiful gardens/plants (I just walk around checking out the plantings), books up very quickly, devoted following. Bruce is also the go-to guy for parts, repairs, gear issues, good selection and prices are extremely reasonable.

Take and leave nothing in vehicle except ratty clothes, a towel and bottles of water. Throw a $20 and key in box around neck. Off you go!

Ditto on Bruce. Did not stay at Carib Inn but used Bruce for an equipment issue.

I had a hard time walking on the broken coral beaches with my soft sole boots the first year we went. Getting hard soled boots would have forced me to get larger fins, so I bought the thickest/hardest insoles I could find at my local whatever-mart and put them in my boots. Works great. Be sure to get rubber with no charcoal. ;P

We leave the keys in the truck, hidden of course, but the condo folks say auto theft is rare. Where are they going to go???

Nobody has bothered my mesh bag or prescription sunglasses. The glasses are tucked into the dash pockets, so they aren't readily visible.

Last year, we hired a DM to take us to the wild side for a shore dive. Entry was north of Lac Bay and a little tougher with more surge. There are a lot more and much larger fish there. Now that we know where to enter we will try it again this year. Tried to signup for the wild side charter boat but it was full every time we called. If you want to go that route sign up online before you go or the moment you hit the ground.

Bruce at Carib Inn Dive Shop has most everything you need for repairs/replacement at very reasonable prices. One of my buddies accidentally grabbed his wife's prescription mask when he packed in the states. Bruce sold him a mask and prescription inserts for less that I paid for my mask. He also has computer batteries, etc., etc.

Nitrox is free with our trip package. If you aren't certified you can get certified there, it's a no-dive cert.

I had a hard time walking on the broken coral beaches with my soft sole boots the first year we went.

Worth taking to heart. On one trip I wore a standard pair of 'scuba booties' and walking geared up on the jagged iron shore at Oil Slick Leap I hurt my foot pretty bad. No penetration of bootie, to laceration or twist of the ankle, just blunt compression trauma. That foot was sore off and on for several weeks.

I switched to SeaSoft Sunrays, and am much happier with them.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom