Geocaching!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife got me a GPS receiver for Father's Day, and we are excited about using it as an excuse to get out and explore more.

We made a half-hearted search for a cache .5 miles from our house, but got eaten alive by mosquitoes. Next time we'll be better prepared.

I'm making plans on how to convert the jogger stroller into the ultimate geocaching buggy! GPS mount, compass mount, saddle bags (to hold maps, bug spray, sunscreen), water bottle holders, off-road lights, black-out lights for covert searches... Just have to remember to leave room for the 15-month-old.

BTW, we got a Lowrance iFinder GO from Academy Sports for $68. In it's basic mode it's pretty useless, but once I turned on the advanced mode, I think it will do everything we need. We figure if we keep an interest we'll upgrade later.

I am afraid to tell you how many GPS units we have between the two of us. It's embarrassing what gadget geeks we are. (I will tell you we have one for caching, and one that sits on the dashboard of my car, but I will not admit to having any more without bribery).
We use the Magellan Explorer 300 for caching, and it rocks.

XJae, to me, anything south of NYC IS central Jersey! I thought I *was* in central Jersey! :)

I'll have to look into the Magellan Explorer 300.

I suppose you are in Central Jersey, I thought you moved further south and you
mentioned planting the bug in south Jersey. I'm 1/2 hr north of Princeton off 206.

Maybe you can plant it somewhere back in Princeton. Although I'm GPS-less my
Jeep practically drives itself to the Triumph Brewery. :D

I have been caching for a few years... lots of fun discovering new spots while travelling! Gets me to places I would not normally go. Have fun with it. FYI, my handle is decodoppler... figures, eh?

XJae:
I'll have to look into the Magellan Explorer 300.

I suppose you are in Central Jersey, I thought you moved further south and you
mentioned planting the bug in south Jersey. I'm 1/2 hr north of Princeton off 206.

Maybe you can plant it somewhere back in Princeton. Although I'm GPS-less my
Jeep practically drives itself to the Triumph Brewery. :D
We were down by Philly for a year, but we moved up closer to where I work in Princeton. (we live in Ewing now).
My husband has already picked the site of the next hide, it's outta my hands. But don't despair, have a look at the Jeep geocaching site, you can track progress of the white Jeep travel bugs. You really have to be a vulture to get one, so if you find that one is hidden nearby, be ready to pounce! :)

Sounds interesting. I'll be going through Europe the whole month of November. Do they have them there also?

Indeed they do. You can search for them on Geocaching.com.

Where are you going? The whole month? You lucky girl.

SueMermaid:
Indeed they do. You can search for them on Geocaching.com.

Where are you going? The whole month? You lucky girl.

Well, 21 days out of the month. I'll be in Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal.
I'll check it out on the web site. If anything seems to make sense I might just go hunting! Thx..really cool sport.

I have looked around Spain, and I know there are many caches there, especially in Madrid and in the coastal areas--Costa Blanca and Costa Del Sol. Take a GPS with you! :)

SueMermaid:
I have looked around Spain, and I know there are many caches there, especially in Madrid and in the coastal areas--Costa Blanca and Costa Del Sol. Take a GPS with you! :)

How much do they cost? I'll be in Barcelona only. I was just looking at the site for Italy. Looks like a ton there. I'll only be in Rome and Florence though. Is there a way to look only at those cities once in the Italy section?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom