Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is one I came upon in Monterey, CA

main.php

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 91
I've geocached for several years now above water, but never heard of anyone doing it underwater. Sounds like a good idea. An accurate GPS is a must on land, because many caches are semi-concealed. I've spent close to an hour looking for a cache that my GPS said was less that 10' from me.

Well I think the underwater caches would have to be a little more obvious. I've heard of some being a film cannister tucked under the side of a mountain road guardrail. So that probably wouldn't fly at 75' underwater.

This does sound like fun. I think we may get into it, land or sea.

Best,
Robert

The more urban and heavily traveled sites have the film cannisters (micro-caches). The typical cache is an old army surplus ammo box (has a watertight seal) or gallon container. Most contain "junk" items that you can take and replace with your own and also a log book for you to sign. You can track the sites you've found online. There are also items called Travel Bugs that have an ID tag associated with them. People remove them from one cache and place them in another. You can track were the "bug" travels to when people log them in the website. All in all, a good excuse to have a nice walk in the woods.

I love geocaching on land. Doing it underwater sounds like loads of fun!

We have had some geocaching locally for divers based more upon " subtle tips" rather than GPS. I found some gold last summer (Jose Cuervo Gold to be exact)...

Geocaching is a blast...we have been doing it on land for years and tried a few underwater sites but could not find the caches. If you go to the webite...geocaching.com you can find tons of numbers for where you live...mostly on land but you can find water caches also. The cool thing about the site is that if you are planning a trip anywhere in the world and want to get out and explore just go to the website before you head out and you can put in the zip code where you plan to be and the site will give you all the caches, clues and other relevent information for a geocach hunt. On land even an inexpensive handheld GPS can be used to go on a treasure hunt. I take mine each year to one of our local parks. My girlfriend's family has an all day Easter Sunday gathering and I get there early walk out and hide two or three caches full of candy and small toys. Then I turn the kids loose with my GPS and let them go out to see if they can find it. They have fun looking for it and I try to make it a challenge! It's a great way to get outside, get some exercise and see something new! Last one we did in New Port Richey, FL we went to a local park saw all kinds of deer, found an old homestead foundation and old model -T ford frame out in the middle of the woods!

I geocache a lot (user name is GeoPowers on geocaching.com) and can't wait to do a few diving caches. Unfortunately for beginners, there's quite a few "land" caches that are lame, but a lot are cool, too. There's something for everyone, and for my family its a good excuse to get off the couch and get outdoors.

Hey El Cid, what year? I'm '99......good to see another dawg discussing diving and caching- haha.

Finding the underwater locations are not all that difficult. In addition to your GPS all you really need is a Clorox bottle with 100 ft. of twine tied to it. Wrap the twine around the bottle and tie the remaining end to a four pound weight. When you are at the right coordinates toss the bottle in the water. Follow the line down and there usually isnt an issue locating it even in less than ideal conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom