Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been Geocaching for several years now, but I'm new to Scuba (I'm currently taking my Open Water class and will take my cert dives on the 13th). The idea of Scuba Geocaching really intrigues me and I ran a search at Geocaching.com, here's a sample of what I found here in California...

GCJ9YK - A Virtual Cache in California, United States called Captain Jacques Yves Cousteau created by PezCachers

GCT98H - A Traditional Cache in California, United States called Underwater SCUBA Cache at Breakwater in Monterey created by jmunch, fox51

One is a "Virtual Cache" in the Avalon Underwater Park, a plaque placed in Jacques Cousteau’s honor, and the other is a "Traditional Cache" in Monterey. It's located near an anchor you use as landmark to get you close.

Diving or not, Geocaching is a lot of fun! It's a great excuse to get out of the house and explore your world.

I have been geocaching for years and this kind of caches sounds very interesting to me. Is there anyone that has placed an underwater cache that can provide some advice on placing one, what kind of container, how best to direct the cacher to the cache.

From geocaching.com

A cache by TriCityGuy Hidden: 5/4/2002
Size: Size: Regular (Regular) Difficulty: 5 out of 5 Terrain: 5 out of 5 (1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

N 47° 51.688 W 120° 10.153 other conversions...
UTM: 10T E 711719 N 5304782

In Washington, United States

This hunt is only for geocachers who are also certified and advanced SCUBA divers! This is a 100'+ coldwater dive that will require going to a GPS waypoint and then diving a single compass bearing to find the cache in the hulk of an old car. AǾЌᴈ瞿

Lake Chelan's water level remains about 15' below summertime levels, so this coordinate is as close to the actual cache site as I could get. You can park your car just a few yards from the water. This dive site is semi-popular for the area so there likely will be others there that are not geocachers. Share what you're doing and they might join in.

This is also a great view of Lake Chelan and the town of Manson across the lake.

The actual cache is about 100 feet north of the coordinates at a depth of 100 ffw (summer months will be closer to 115' deep) located near a 1956 Ford that has been sunk there for many years. Use the guard rail end as your start point. Submerge and become negatively buoyant and follow down the slope and swim straight north on your compass. I've dove this site 3 or more times and end up a little right seeing the car to my left as I descend.

The car is pointed east and you'll need to swim to the shallow side of the back seat area (a lot of body metal has rusted away). In the back seat you'll find a green plastic toolbox with sharpie writing on the front. The box will be fairly neutral in buoyancy. Open slowly as something might float out and try and reposition disturbing as little silt as possible.

Remember, even if you're using a computer this is deep, cold dive (41F in May) and you may start to feel nitrogen narcosis. If you go past 120 feet even in summer months you've missed the car. I'm told the lake goes to 300+ feet in this area.

Don't get hung up on the cache. Get in the box, trade an item, and go back up to shallower water! Don't turn this into a decompression dive or unintentional trip to the hyperbariac chamber. Plan your dive and dive your plan!

Inside the box you'll find the following things that I thought would be interesting to see how they aged underwater. No log book on this dive. I couldn't find a spare dive slate or writing surface, so log in this website!

* 1 Casio dive watch (needs a new battery)
* 1 CD-ROM with MP3 reading of The Hobbit 1
* Robinhood (smaller than regulation) golf ball I found on another dive in a nuclear missle silo.
* 1 3 1/2" diskette case (no diskettes)
* 1 1956 penny (same year as the car?)
* 1 1998 Columbia Cup boat race pin (wee hydroplane racing plan columbia cup at columbiacup.com)
* 1 Budweiser bottle cap remover keychain
* 1 new condom (Trojan)
* 1 nail file.
* 1 Dollar Bill (If you take it, log it in at wheresgeorge.com)
* 1 Microsoft Keychain
* 1 Travel Bug named "Nooch" wrapped around a Disney rabbit character
* 1 Euro coin

Additional Hints>

For sale. 1956 Ford. Needs some work. See parked at bottom of Lake Chelan.

Back
Top Bottom