Getting all your gear...even tanks, when flying somewhere.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traveling via airplane with tanks is extremely foolish. If you feel the need to dive doubles rent doubles. This will cost but nothing compared to bringing your own. Why you need doubles is beyond me. Honestly someone diving doubles with less than 24 dives seems foolish but whatever. Just remember you buddy will not be diving doubles. Renting doubles is not cheap,

I don't think it make sense to fly with tanks or lead, unless you are doing some expedition dive in antartica or something

Traveling via airplane with tanks is extremely foolish. If you feel the need to dive doubles rent doubles. This will cost but nothing compared to bringing your own. Why you need doubles is beyond me. Honestly someone diving doubles with less than 24 dives seems foolish but whatever. Just remember you buddy will not be diving doubles. Renting doubles is not cheap,

It's also important to remember that not all airlines allow tanks in checked baggage, so if you miss a flight, get bumped due to overselling, etc, there's a very good chance that the airline they move you to will not allow your luggage, and you'll have to wait for it to get sent out on the airline you booked a ticket with.

Doubles would cost more to check than to rent, but a pony bottle or something like that would likely be easier to check...just beware of the chance that it might not make it there or make it home with you.

I *do* check lead if my bag is underweight already, no reason not to, and it ensures I have what I need in case the boat has a limited supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom