Getting back underwater after a long break!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Great sight, I just found it.

Anyway, I got certified in '92 in Grand Caymen and spent the next 8 years diving on Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas with my dad. He was my diving buddy and we spent a lot of time diving and spearfishing. Dad passed away unexpectantly from a brain tumor and I have been underwater since. Its been 10 years and I really miss it.

I contacted NAUI and they said they would send me a replacement card. I am talking a very thourogh refresher course bc I really have forgotten a lot. I have 2 full sets of gear and I am having that checked out as well. I am sure a lot of things have changed in 10 years.

Hopefully, all will work out and I will continue to enjoy it. Diving used to be an every weekend activity bc I have a lakehouse.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for any advice that you all have to offer. I need it!

Hi and welcome to scubaboard. I would suggest you redo the complete open water course, as it is almost 10 years ago since you were diving last time.

Hi and welcome to scubaboard. I would suggest you redo the complete open water course, as it is almost 10 years ago since you were diving last time.

I thought about that but after talking to several dive shops, I am comfortable with the lessons I will receive. I have logged a lot of dives bc I have a lakehouse so it was an every weekend type of deal. If I dont feel confident after my refresher course, I will certainly go on to do the OW sessions too.

Anyway, I got certified in '92 in Grand Caymen and spent the next 8 years diving on Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas with my dad. He was my diving buddy and we spent a lot of time diving and spearfishing. ... I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for any advice that you all have to offer.
It sounds like you may have accrued a reasonably substantial body of experience underwater before the break. I think a thorough scuba refresher, such as you indicate you will pursue, should allow you to return to diving in a safe manner. As for advice - there has been a certain amount of evolution in gear over the past 10 years, but nowhere near enough to suggest that 'everything is different' The basic skills you learned 18 years ago and used until 10 years ago are very similar, although there may be one or two 'tweaks' in how they are taught and applied today. You should be able to adapt very quickly. Welcome to the Board, and welcome back to the wonderful underwater world.

Soudns like you are on the right track. Welcome back to the underwater world.

I have seen too many divers out of the water for 10-20 years who think that an evening refresher course in the pool is all that is needed. Scary thig for their own safety and their buddies. Most of these folks need a new OW course with OW dives. I was certified some 40+ years ago then out of it for about 20 years. When I got back into diving 20 years ago I re-did OW training from the beginning. Certainly there were major changes from 60's dive education to 90's dive education so it was the right way to go.

Your own safety is paramount. Welcome back. Enjoy !

I also came back after a long break (about 9 years for me). I don't think a full OW class is needed. I would advise taking part of the refresher course outside of the pool environment. And then just take your diving slowly until things come back.

The scuba refresher recommendation is the standard advice, and it is good advice, albeit conservative. The advice to redo your certification might also be good, depending on the diver, and is, obviously, even more conservative. in my opinion, if you were comfortable in the water, were trained properly, and amassed a decent amount of experience before your break, a couple of pool sessions with a buddy or even by yourself would be enough of a tune-up for some easy recreational dives. Not much has changed while you were gone. There are less fish in most places, less coral where their used to be coral; otherwise things are pretty much the same down there.

The biggest change I found after a 7 year "mostly" dry spell is that the recommended ascent rate is half what it used to be. I found that I was typically ascending a bit faster than the other divers during the training course I took last year. This is something that I have to consciously work on to break old habits.

I think you get more instructor time for your money with the OW course than the refresher, plus going over the basics again is never a bad thing.

Great sight, I just found it.

Anyway, I got certified in '92 in Grand Caymen and spent the next 8 years diving on Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas with my dad. He was my diving buddy and we spent a lot of time diving and spearfishing. Dad passed away unexpectantly from a brain tumor and I have been underwater since. Its been 10 years and I really miss it.

I contacted NAUI and they said they would send me a replacement card. I am talking a very thourogh refresher course bc I really have forgotten a lot. I have 2 full sets of gear and I am having that checked out as well. I am sure a lot of things have changed in 10 years.

Hopefully, all will work out and I will continue to enjoy it. Diving used to be an every weekend activity bc I have a lakehouse.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for any advice that you all have to offer. I need it!

Hello,

From what you describe, it sounds like you've done a considerable amount of diving prior to your break. My suggestion is for you to take a refresher/tuneup and see how you do. If after the refresher, you still feel unsure or not up-to-par in your diving, then take the Open Water course again.

In my experience, I've encountered those who forget a great deal after a short period of time and those who will get back into the swing after many years of inactivity from diving. Before you know how you might do, you might not want to commit to an entire OW course.

My guess is that once you get back into the water with your kit and re-experience the excitement, the familiarity will return. I feel that confidence plays a very important part and just a bit of practice will help you get back into things.

All the best and have fun.

Thanks guys, the refresher I am taking will be several hours of classroom and several hours in the pool. I am very confident in the water and I think this course will be plenty.

I am amazed at what the new computers do!!

Back
Top Bottom