Getting Factory Certified to service Scubapro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mohave Steve, If you're into learning how the regs work, Couv's suggestion of the airspeedpress book is a great one. I bought the book about a year before I started working on my regs, and thought it was a great read just from the point of understanding how the first and second stages funciton. SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

If your Scubapro regs are under warranty, what you save in labor, you'll loose in the free parts program. Parts can be found, but it takes a lot of work, and for ScubaPro, tends to be about $15-20 /stage on Ebay. You'll also need to make an investment in tools. Aside from getting the parts, I think I've spent ~$200 on tools at scubatools, and another $200 on a Magnehelic and a very nice gauge for checking first stage IP. Lastly, its also worthwhile tracking down the manuals and schematics for the regs that you own. Good luck! -Todd.

To do it right you will need close to $1500 in tools from peter built.

Ummmm, I don't think so. Try $150, maybe. A couple of spanners, IP guage, torque wrench, yoke nut, maybe a bullet and a bushing tool or two, depending on the reg, o-ring picks, some Christolube. Some of those tools can be made easily and very cheaply.

Now, to do 20 regs a day really fast, impress potential customers with your bench, etc, that's a different story.

BTW, Todd's right about the kits; $15-20 on ebay. I found my LDS is perfectly willing to sell me parts at a similarly outrageous price. One trick (I hope!) to saving money in the end is to find a source for high quality o-rings for the dynamic applications, allowing you in many cases to go years on a single kit. The MK5 and MK10 kits each come with 3 seats; by fiddling with the bushings, you should be able to use at least 2 of those seats.

Ummmm, I don't think so. Try $150, maybe.

Mattboy is very correct, here is a quick rundown of pretty much all you need less the parts kits:

Regulator Savvy, $ 29.00
Multi-Tool Wrench $35.00 nice to have, but you can make
Piston bullets $5.25 can make these too
o-ring insertion tool $16.50 nice to have, but worth it, but you can make with dowels
ChristoLube 111 $27.00 you can use cheaper stuff like Parker O-Lube for just air or < 40% O2
O'ring Pick Set $7.50 can make with brazing rod
1" Yoke Nut Socket $20.00 nice to have, but you can take a 1'' socket and grind it down as needed.
Torque wrench ~ $30.00 or borrow free from Auto Zone
Miscellaneous tools $20.00 probably have most already

Magnehelic or Manometer&#8230;&#8230;don't need one, Fill your kitchen sink and immerse the regulator with the mouth piece up and see if it begins to flow before the diaphragm gets more than a couple of inches deep. You may have to put plastic tubing in place of the mouth piece to do this. If you want to get fancy make a simple manometer from plastic tubing and a yard stick http://www.komar.org/faq/manometer/

The o-rings can be ordered on line: My favorite place is http://www.oringsusa.com/

Come to the Dark Side and join us in the DIY section.

couv

I have several different Magnehelic (different ranges) and never paid more than $20 for any of them. They are always a bunch for sell brand new in the box at eBay. Magnehelic are used for many industrial applications and it seems that they buy too many extra ones and end up selling them after the box has collected a lot of dust. The three (or four) that I own looked totally unused, but the boxes were very dusty.

I have many more regulator specialty tools, but that is just because I like tools that make the job easier. I also service a few different brands and double hose as well as single hose regulators. That being said I also don’t have more than maybe $200 to $300 on specialty tools. It is a hobby, but I always liked having the right tool for the job. And, I worked for a few dive shops for a total of about 10 years, which spoil me when it comes to having the right tools. The flip side is that at this point I probably have a better tool collection than some of my LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom