Getting gear into Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canada customs does not order a purchase of a customs bond, thats a crap story.

Okay kids... let's keep this discussion CIVIL.

Just a note from one of your friendly neighbourhood Moderators.

Wow, ask a little question and look what I have started! That one went off on quite the tangent... But for the record, after looking at my income tax return and seeing how MUCH I have paid in bloody income tax, i certainly don't have a problem bending the rules on this one.

Back to the original question though, I was more concearned about customs letting a knife in though, I believe its legal if the blade is less then 6" or something? Anyone know the specifics on this?

Thunderball007:
Back to the original question though, I was more concearned about customs letting a knife in though, I believe its legal if the blade is less then 6" or something? Anyone know the specifics on this?

If it's legal to carry it in Canada, it's certainly legal to get it into Canada. I had a Blue Tang dive knife shipped in with no problems, even though the declaration slip clearly said "Dive knife". Most of the dive knives I've seen have seen have a 5" or 6" blade.

Just don't try shipping it in the same box as a Kentucky ham. :wink:

darkstar:
If it's legal to carry it in Canada, it's certainly legal to get it into Canada. I had a Blue Tang dive knife shipped in with no problems, even though the declaration slip clearly said "Dive knife". Most of the dive knives I've seen have seen have a 5" or 6" blade.

If memory serves, in Canada anything with a blade over 2" is considered a weapon. IOW, you could carry a swiss army knife or anything else on your person as long as the blade was less than 2".

However, that being said, people who dive generally don't have the knives with them ABOVE water. The rest of the time they are stowed. I don't recall the statues on that one.

Dang, where's that pocket Criminal Code when I need it?:wink:

Thunderball007:
But for the record, after looking at my income tax return and seeing how MUCH I have paid in bloody income tax, i certainly don't have a problem bending the rules on this one.

Avoiding paying taxes due is not 'bending' the rules, it's breaking the law. I'm prety sure the limit on a gift into Canada was $20.00 see here If you ship Canada Post or Purolator you get dinged GST & PST and a $5 fee for processing. If you ship UPS you pay GST, they generally don't collect PST, but they charge at least $25 for processing and that increases as the value goes up. If you declare and insured value of $100 and a customs value of $20, you're likely to get caught. These folks are not a stupid as some might think.

I don't forsee any problem inporting a dive (or other) knife. And I think the law is carrying concealed, strapped on your leg isn't.

Disclaimer, I don't work for any level of government and detest the amount I pay them each year. Legalized robbery.

As a final comment, what the heck good is a knife with a six inch blade, strapped to your leg going to do, when you're tangled in monofilament and can reach your legs? And strapped on the side of your leg, it's in a great location ot snag on stuff. This IS too common a scenario. I'd recommend a nice compact blade (3"), with a notch for line cutting, blunt tip (it's a TOOL, not a weapon) mounted on your BC. A set of EMT shears on the other side make a great backup. I was skeptical, but you CAN a penny in half with them. And for small wire, fishing line, net, you can't beat their ease of use, even one handed. To me, a big knife, strapped to your leg, just says macho attitude, DO NOT BUDDY WITH HIM. FWIW, I have an old US Divers knife, about 10" overall kicking around in my gear. In a pinch, it makes a great ankle weight.

Thunderball007:
In the past I have bought some gear off the net and ebay from the states; some of it has come with no problems, a couple of times ive been slapped with a hefty duty fee. Generally I always tell the shop to send it as a gift without the sales slip, but they dont always do this. Just wondering if anyone has ordered a dive knife on the net before and if they had any problems at the border?

I'm pretty sure Canada already has knives. I don't think you'll have any problems taking it through customs (unless you're flying with it, which is a different story). :cool:

Thunderball007:
With all the new legislation, im wondering if customs might be weary of letting a dagger get through!? Also - anyone have problems strapping a knife on with a bag dry-suit? I was wondering what the implications of this would be...

No idea. I only carry shears.

Terry

Groundhog246:
Avoiding paying taxes due is not 'bending' the rules, it's breaking the law. I'm prety sure the limit on a gift into Canada was $20.00 see here If you ship Canada Post or Purolator you get dinged GST & PST and a $5 fee for processing. If you ship UPS you pay GST, they generally don't collect PST, but they charge at least $25 for processing and that increases as the value goes up. If you declare and insured value of $100 and a customs value of $20, you're likely to get caught. These folks are not a stupid as some might think.

I just checked out that link - that $20 limit is actually for purchased goods, i guess for any amount less then that it is not worth the administrative time to collect the taxes... If you go a couple of paragraphs below that, it states that the exemption for gifts being mailed into the country is a whopping $60.00. (Since when is paying tax, on an item that has already been taxed fair!?) So I think its about time to buy myself an early Birthday "gift"!

SubMariner:
Dang, where's that pocket Criminal Code when I need it?:wink:
http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/c-46/

Some relevant excerpts:

"weapon" means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use

(a) in causing death or injury to any person, or

(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person

and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm;

"prohibited weapon" means

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon;

Carrying concealed weapon

90. (1) Every person commits an offence who carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition concealed, unless the person is authorized under the Firearms Act to carry it concealed.

Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Carrying weapon while attending public meeting

89. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition while the person is attending or is on the way to attend a public meeting.

Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

117.15 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing anything that by this Part is to be or may be prescribed.

Restriction

(2) In making regulations, the Governor in Council may not prescribe any thing to be a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or prohibited ammunition if, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, the thing to be prescribed is reasonable for use in Canada for hunting or sporting purposes.

Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted
SCHEDULE (Sections 2 to 6)
PART 3 PROHIBITED WEAPONS

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 4

8. The device known as the "Constant Companion", being a belt containing a blade capable of being withdrawn from the belt, with the buckle of the belt forming a handle for the blade, and any similar device.

9. Any knife commonly known as a "push-dagger" that is designed in such a fashion that the handle is placed perpendicular to the main cutting edge of the blade and any other similar device other than the aboriginal "ulu" knife.

10. Any device having a length of less than 30 cm and resembling an innocuous object but designed to conceal a knife or blade, including the device commonly known as the "knife-comb", being a comb with the handle of the comb forming a handle for the knife, and any similar device.

I can find no reference limiting the length of a blade but there's a lot of room for interpretation and it's possible that there is precedent established.

That said, I think you would have a strong argument that a dive knife (particularly one with a blunted tip or blade and a line cutter) is "reasonable for use in Canada for hunting or sporting purposes." no matter how long the blade is.

Groundhog246:
Avoiding paying taxes due is not 'bending' the rules, it's breaking the law.

I have to agree with GH here... I am constantly amazed at the number of people who wish to bring items into Canada and not pay duty. Then many want a waranty, but fail to realize that the item they purchased has a "US only" warranty... (Quite common)

Avoid the hassels, buy it from a Canadian retailor or online retailor that can ship (Legally) into Canada providing warranty coverage (Obviously warranty is not particularly relavant on a knife, but applies more to other items..) - better yet - support a Canadian LDS

Shop around and find your best price, sure, but do it legally. When you don't pay your fair share of taxes, it raises the cost for everyone else...

Back
Top Bottom