Getting into "dive" shape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Concur with @johndiver999 and @lowwall - if not pool time, then some targeted dry land exercises.

On top of the tib exercise in the video above, you could add flutter kicks, ankle rotations and foot extension and flexion all with your booties and fins on. Want to make it more challenging? Add vee-ups to the exercises with booties and fins. Even more? Add leg spreaders and crunches (without fins) with the TRX (or other brand) suspension straps.

If you’re doing HIIT, actively studying your HR zones and recovery rate and maintaining a full tidal exchange, then you’re more than halfway there.

Another 1/4 will be optimal hydration before, during (SI) and after your dives.

The final 1/4 will be the targeted exercises.

You got this.

I’ve had some ankle injuries over the years, resulting in tight/stiff ankles and calves. This especially true after flying somewhere. All the exercises listed are great, but I’ve also really benefited for soft tissue mobilization on a foam roller on the calf and Achilles.

This presumed that OP frog kicks as major mode of movement.
Funny you should say that, I've never been able to frog kick--something about how my legs are. But with the new-shorter fins I was using I was able to get moving a bit with frog kicks.

I appreciate all the suggestions! I'd love to be able to get regular pool time and will be able to use my neighbor's during warmer months. Prior to my trip in April, I just can't see getting the time with work and family obligations. I'll check out and try all these exercises and stretches.

I have two leg days per week. Last two exercises for each of those days are calf raise variations.
Work on range of motion and endurance. Slow reps with a pause at the top.

It sounds like your workouts of choice involve impact exercises. Pilates is really good for all around strength and flexibility. I've found it to be great for muscle imbalances and pain. Particularly pilates reformer classes. A month doesn't give you much time for that but there are many good pilates workout videos on YouTube. The same with using a foam roller properly. Which can be like a nice deep tissue massage.

48 old? You are young, certainly younger than 80% of the people I dive with. I am almost 66, dive four times a week and do no extra exercise other than walking 5 km a day if possible. At the moment all my dives are shore dives with some very steep climbs back up from the water. Other than a stop for a breather on two of them, I make it back up quicker than all the younger ones too.

If everyone hiked dive gear up steep hills multiple times per week, nobody would need to go to the gym. Many of us earn a living by sitting on our butts, THOSE are the people (myself included) who need to do some "extra" exercise.

Thanks for all the tips!

Just one thing to reiterate--I'm not looking for overall getting into shape (I'm doing ok with that), it's just getting over dive-specific sore muscles. I try (and fail) to do the same with ski trips, usually I have a great first day but spend the rest of the trip with incredible sore calfs, shins, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom