Getting married and diving, which island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphillyswim

Registered
Reaction score
We will be getting married in May and would like to select an island that is good for not only our wedding, but for diving/surfing as well. We were thinking Maui or Kauai. Any opinions that would be helpful?

Hi there -- you can get a lot of information about getting married in Hawaii in general by checking out the "destination wedding" and "local Hawaii talk" boards at www.theknot.com.

General consensus seems to be that the Big Island has the best diving, followed by Maui. But this is somewhat subjective, of course, and I've been diving on Kauai and wouldn't turn my nose up at it! Same goes for the other islands as well, I'm sure.

I don't think the Big Island is best for surfing, though, although others can probably weigh in on that topic.

Depending on your interests, you'll want to pick the island that best "suits your personality". Each has its own flavor -- some are more rural, some have more shopping and nightlife, some have more rain, etc, etc. There is a series of "Revealed" guidebooks (blue covers) that are particularly good and will give you a good overview of each island. You could spend an afternoon perusing them in a bookstore cafe...

My husband and I absolutely love the Big Island, and we were married there 3 years ago, at the Four Seasons Hualalai. We had 20 guests and it was fabulous. Within a year, I had friends get married on Maui, Oahu, and Kauai -- and everyone was very happy with their choice. After all, it is Hawaii -- it's hard to go wrong!

Happy planning!!

I’m not a surfer but know those who do and relaying what I’m told and observed and only for Kona side.
Lot of local surfing along the Kona shore and you can stay and walk out in places. Can in many places drive along the road and see what’s happening re surf. Rental gear readily available. Surf reports for whole island daily on the radio station I listen to. Higher surf and more surfers in winter but nothing like Oahu’s big waves. Should be a bit more macho surfer for Big Island as entrance can be tricky in some spots, ie jump in off lava and carefully timed. Main problem is the mostly lava shores so getting trashed can be abrasive. Few sand beaches unlike Maui. Much less nasty local sharing same ocean than Oahu. Good boogie boarding at Hapuna Beach, a lovely shallow big sand beach.
Major hotels in North Kohala can be a one stop destination. Arrange customized wedding ceremony to your taste and budget in lovely place. Things like shore at sunset, professional photographer, leis etc. Don’t know about underwater but be surprised if not possible. One has a dive op onsite and the big ones probably will connect you to them. Hapuna Beach Hotel is one of them.

Thanks for all of the info...We will be getting married above with just my parents and his sister and brother in law. We are of the laid back sort, like nature...but would also want to have some options for food and going out in the evenings. I think Kauai sounds like a good spot.

I recomend Long Island! Maui, Kauai, Big Island in that order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom