Getting my first computer - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvinzens:
Hi Jonty,
there might be a language problem, but let me try to explain:

as I ment to read from previous postings your dive experience is somewhere below 50 dives.
I anticipate an divemaster internship has something to do with getting certified as divemaster.
adding the two makes for me = the divemaster certification can be aquired with 50 or so dives. Considering the responsability a dive master takes on, this seems to be sort of limited experience for such a task.

I do not want to get personal, may just be the cultural difference?

Jumping in here.... Cvinzens I thought you were asking about how 50 dives relates to becoming a divemaster. I know little about it but I've heard there is scuba training that can be compressed allowing one to reach dive master status in a reasonably short period of time but I don't know of a number of dives required. as far as I'm concerned 50 is nothing. in my estimation maybe I can consider myself intermediate level once I hit 100 dives.

My answer to the original question is none of the above. Going horseless cost about an extra $600. The horseless computers break much more often than the simple non air integrated ones. Notice how some divers that use them have a gage for back-up. It sort of defeats the purpose of going horseless, I think. Don't bother with a bottom timer. Its for technical diving and zealots who think computers rot your brain. (They probably do, but so does beer, caffeine and sugar.) If you want a back-up get a second computer. Get a computer that can do nitrox. Eventually, it will come in handy. Having said that, I have not done that many nitrox dives that went beyond an air profile, but the few times I did, it was nice.

leadweight:
My answer to the original question is none of the above. Going horseless cost about an extra $600. The horseless computers break much more often than the simple non air integrated ones. Notice how some divers that use them have a gage for back-up. It sort of defeats the purpose of going horseless, I think. Don't bother with a bottom timer. Its for technical diving and zealots who think computers rot your brain. (They probably do, but so does beer, caffeine and sugar.) If you want a back-up get a second computer. Get a computer that can do nitrox. Eventually, it will come in handy. Having said that, I have not done that many nitrox dives that went beyond an air profile, but the few times I did, it was nice.

It's not that much based on street price. If you figure it's 50% of the cost the transmitter is sbout $325. Yet $325 is an awful lot just to be techie and look cool. Really I think it would be nice not to have to mess with pulling the console up to read it. Having it right there on the wrist would be nice. Not ever having a computer allows me to say that - right.

Anyway, there sure are a lot of people here from Texas. I'm proudly displaying the state of Alabama but both my wife and I are Texans. 40 years in Arlington. Been in Alabama 3 yrs now. It's fine here but we miss family and TX.

Hi Cvinzens, yeah I know what you are saying. And I agree with you as well djanni...50 dives is still limited experience.

BUT, my internship is five weeks of diving at least once a day, if not more. I don't think I will finish the internship being an 'experienced' divemaster, but I will definitely have the training to build on it. I should also mention that perhaps my case is slightly different as I do not intend to work in the dive industry after that. I'm taking the internship for personal satisfaction / safety and to have a great experience!

Finally...Djanni, sorry if I sounded a bit arrogant in my first post. Didn't mean to imply that you didn't have any experience...Hope you find the right computer :)

djanni;

Why don't you get a wrist mount atmos 2? It'll do everything you need, and it's really easy to read. If, after diving with it, you find you just can't stand the thought of doing without the AI, I'll take the atmos 2 off your hands...

BTW, are you the same guy who posted about the atomic regs, something about wanting "the best"? I've got to say, you seem to be the type of new diver the manufacturers lick their chops over....just getting into diving, and looking to spend thousands on equipment that is REALLY unnecessary for learning to dive, or for any rec diving conditions whatsoever. I kind of had the opposite approach; MK2 R190, (SP had a $50 rebate, making the reg $175) used BC from a friend ($100), atmos 1 console ($225), camaro wetsuit from a closeout catalogue. ($120) Not to put you down or anything, as we all have different priorities in life, but there definitely is a LOT of hype in the equipment end of this hobby, and, well, ummmm, you seem to be pretty caught up in it. I really mean no offense here.

The only regret I have is that I didn't spend the extra bucks on a nitrox computer, hence the offer to take an unwanted atmos 2 off your hands! :)

Oh yeah, I imagine if you read a few threads on this forum you'll encounter people advocating the more conservative suunto computers, and I suppose there's some validity to that. I once read a comparitive study that analized the algorhythms on most popular dive computers and compared NDL differences on various profiles to determine the level of conservatism for these computers. There was surprisingly little difference. Under almost all rec diving scenarios, you'll probably be nowhere near the NDLs on any of them, unless you're diving fairly deep several times a day. I believe that for almost all rec divers with limited experience, typically diving single AL80s, and I count myself in that group, there is far greater danger of DCS from uncontrolled ascents and poor dive planning/gas management than there is from extended bottom time on a more liberal computer.

I feel pretty whimpy cause I have the Suunto Vyper and have never used the dive planner. I still dive tables lol. :11:

I dove a VT Pro last year while my DataTrans Plus was getting serviced, the only comlpaint I have about the VT Pro is the display, I had a real hard time trying to read it. Maybe I'm just used to the large display of the DataTrans.

just my .02¢

Mike

mattboy:
djanni;

Why don't you get a wrist mount atmos 2? It'll do everything you need, and it's really easy to read. If, after diving with it, you find you just can't stand the thought of doing without the AI, I'll take the atmos 2 off your hands...

BTW, are you the same guy who posted about the atomic regs, something about wanting "the best"? I've got to say, you seem to be the type of new diver the manufacturers lick their chops over....just getting into diving, and looking to spend thousands on equipment that is REALLY unnecessary for learning to dive, or for any rec diving conditions whatsoever. I kind of had the opposite approach; MK2 R190, (SP had a $50 rebate, making the reg $175) used BC from a friend ($100), atmos 1 console ($225), camaro wetsuit from a closeout catalogue. ($120) Not to put you down or anything, as we all have different priorities in life, but there definitely is a LOT of hype in the equipment end of this hobby, and, well, ummmm, you seem to be pretty caught up in it. I really mean no offense here.

The only regret I have is that I didn't spend the extra bucks on a nitrox computer, hence the offer to take an unwanted atmos 2 off your hands! :)

Oh yeah, I imagine if you read a few threads on this forum you'll encounter people advocating the more conservative suunto computers, and I suppose there's some validity to that. I once read a comparitive study that analized the algorhythms on most popular dive computers and compared NDL differences on various profiles to determine the level of conservatism for these computers. There was surprisingly little difference. Under almost all rec diving scenarios, you'll probably be nowhere near the NDLs on any of them, unless you're diving fairly deep several times a day. I believe that for almost all rec divers with limited experience, typically diving single AL80s, and I count myself in that group, there is far greater danger of DCS from uncontrolled ascents and poor dive planning/gas management than there is from extended bottom time on a more liberal computer.

Yeah that's me. You don't offend me. I'm not ashamed that I'm able to buy the equipment I want to buy.

djanni:
Yeah that's me. You don't offend me. I'm not ashamed that I'm able to buy the equipment I want to buy.

Well, it seams you are the dream customer of any dive shop!!!!!! :05:

If money is not an issue, just high tech, then it is a must to get the Suunto D9 with hoseless air integration ( somwhere in the vincinity of 1800US$ ) You can be sure, you will have the approriate attention on any dive spot.

Please just keep your feet at the ground, at the end, this gadget is not making you a better diver, you budy still thanks you for the simple assistance you might be able to grant in an emergency, no computer will help in those times.

Allways 50bar in the can
Conrad

DJ,
I just love when you post a new thread and take these beatings. :)
From one n00b to another, (41 dives, cert 5/04) there is really only a few things left for you to consider. And before I discuss them, for those of you reading.....

*Yes he is going to kill himself diving air integrated and relyng on his computer (even though he never said this, his NOT sayng must mean that he will rely solely on it, right??).
*He doesn't want to buy online. He has a dive shop. He LIKES them. He HAS the money to pay for what he wants. (Just how many of you have a car that goes faster than you need, or 4WD that you've never used???) Leave him alone, he wants it, he can afford it. He might not even eat pizza, and I'm sure beverages have already been factored into his budget as well as his wife's shoe budget. (Very high on my list. :))
*He's diving recreational. He obviously doesn't dive all that much that ending a dive immediately (but still doing his safety stop with his dive buddy) because his AI craps out at 50' is NOT going to cause him grave mental anguish.

Lordy, I hope I covered it all.........
All those you mentioned will obviously do the job quite nicely, including nitrox.

-The Oceanic VT and Uwatec have larger displays than the Atom. How's your eyesight been treating you? (Don't know how old you are either. :wink:)
-I love the idea of the Atom doubling as a watch. But while on vacation (yes I'm assuming that based on your comments and your total dives over four years, that you are a vacation diver) are you going to want to wear a different watch? Would it bother to you pack two and change them? Is the convenience of a 'one watch/computer' vacation worth the slightly smaller display?
-I have a uwatec aladin x nitrox, it's AI. I think it's just wonderful to be able to glance from the pretty fish (or my DB's backside) to my wrist and back and know where I'm at, depth, gas and time. I love that. No moving, twisting, grabbing, unhooking etcetera to see my gages (two). My tank pressure is on the bottom window (you get TWO windows, I love that), I don't even have to twist my wrist to see that part.

I didn't select this computer, that's a long story. But this is what I have, I like it. I'll be getting a back up at some point in the future. But this is about you want and what YOU need. So, when it comes time to pack for your trip, how far do you plan in advance? The uwatec, being my favorite :wink:, has to be sent away for battery change (mine has other trouble with that I know, this thread is not about that). Will you have the time and have preplanned to be sure that your battery is good? They have a little monitor on the them that tells you what percent you have left on your battery. Given your rate of usage, it would last you a long time (years).

I don't know enough about how the Oceanics work. But I do know on the uwatec, while diving, you wont' need to know any menus or buttons to push. If you're diving infrequently the ease of use could be important.

And last, the Atom is the prettiest. But it doesn't come in any special colors, now does it? :laughing: (Oh come on now, how many of you at the dealership tell the saleman color doesn't matter? Does that red (or blue, or black) pickup truck really work better than the white (or pink or purple) one?

Hope I helped.
And yes, we know...he needs an SPG, he needs a bottom timer and tables in his pocket. We know, these computers are overkill for the diving he's doing.....blah, blah, blah. BUT IT'S WHAT HE WANTS, not what you want for how you dive!!!

(And this has nothing to do with why I have an uwatec or what I would pick, or what is right for my diving...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom