Getting my first computer - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the short version for you and I DJ, because I don't think we need all the disclaimers:

1) batteries
2) menus
3) aesthetics
4) your eyesight

:D

Rate them on priority and I'll tell you which one to get!!

pennypue:
And the short version for you and I DJ, because I don't think we need all the disclaimers:

1) batteries (5 out of 10)
2) menus (7.5)
3) aesthetics (3)
4) your eyesight (good enough)

:D

Rate them on priority and I'll tell you which one to get!!

I would get the Air Z Nitrox if it weren't for the wet contacts. They are probably easier to use when below the surface but if not - just too much trouble for me. A minor thing is no water temp on a Air Z - odd oversite on Uwatec's part

I want hoseless. If I go with a backup air gage it would be that little pony bottle gage.

The Atom is about the same price and doubling as a watch while on vacation is good but I want to be able to see air pressure and depth at the same time on the same display and without having to switch displays. Can't do on the Atom. I've heard arguments for why that's not important. But it's there with the other two models.

BTW: your profile indicates somewhere between 16 and 50 dives. How is it your so salty?

djanni:
I would get the Air Z Nitrox if it weren't for the wet contacts. They are probably easier to use when below the surface but if not - just too much trouble for me. A minor thing is no water temp on a Air Z - odd oversite on Uwatec's part

I want hoseless. If I go with a backup air gage it would be that little pony bottle gage.
I agree about the lack of temp on the Air Z. Makes me batty. I like to know the temp. It's a curiosity thing. You get it when you download your dive profile to a computer. But I want it NOW. :) Best thing is I see no reason why you would need to use the contacts underwater on the Z at all. Unless you plan on changing gasses underwater. :D (I know you'll frequently be doing that on your 70' deco dives, right??) :crafty:

I agree on the hoseless thing, spg will be your preference, or not. Particularly since you just want a clean setup. (Fewer danglies. Yes we know this will kill him. But imagine the body recovery will have fewer entanglement hazards. :) AND he'll look so much better in photos too.)

djanni:
The Atom is about the same price and doubling as a watch while on vacation is good but I want to be able to see air pressure and depth at the same time on the same display and without having to switch displays. Can't do on the Atom. I've heard arguments for why that's not important. But it's there with the other two models.
Argument for the Uwatec and VT then.

So my pick for you (keep in mind I am a woman and therefore opinionated and adept at telling men what to do) is the Air Z, unless someone can tell me that the VT 'has it all' on the display including the temp. That would tip to it's favor then. Batteries on the Z are going to last you a long, long time. The X I have is a few years old, wasn't used much by it's previous owner (I plan to rectify that) and still has 74% of its battery. My guess is that you're going to want to buy something new by the time it runs out of juice. (Based upon your willingness to spend $ and the fact that you seem to like gadgets. Something newer and better will come along and you and I (your wife too I bet) both know that you're going to want it.)

As for the aesthetics, you do like the power rangers communicator look, don't you? :sly: Plus, by the time you want to buy the next cool thing, you'll be able sell it to someone as their backup and defray the cost of the next toy. (I only say this for the benefit of those who balk at the cost.) The looks of the VT and the Z are both not in my 'pretty' category. (The VT has all those color graphics on the edge and just makes me think of a stop light. Plus, at depth how much of those colors are still going to be visible?? Might as well have used colors I like, pinks, purples.......perhaps a little teal?) Pretty for me is defined as either the Stinger(metal band) or the Nemo, and even then I'd like a different band on the Nemo (color, hello!!) The Atom is pretty, but black, and doesn't have it all on one display. Doesn't sound to me like changing out your computer for you watch warrants having to change displays underwater. (Remember menu was your highest rated 7.5).

djanni:
BTW: your profile indicates somewhere between 16 and 50 dives. How is it your so salty?
:D Y Chromosone.

Now pretend for two days that you are definitely getting the Z. If it drives you crazy with buyers remorse, go get the one that keeps sticking in your head.

And my final advice, which one makes you HAPPY? (We know, his choice may kill him. But he'd at least die happy. So let him have that, okay? Okay.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom