Getting ready for my next photo dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going 5th to 15th May so unfortunately will be unable to meet you folks face to face. I guess there will be some other regular SB contributors on the May workshop

If you're shooting a fast shutter speeds, I.e., 1/500, be careful of max flash sync speed issues. This depends on the type and model of camera. For example with my D7000, my max shutter with strobes is 1/320. Read more about this in Ken Rockwell's web site.

If you have a DLSR or a mirrorless usually the max sync speed is dictated by the curtain closing speed unless the camera has a high speed flash and your strobe is compatible
Compact cameras like the S95 have also an electronic shutter so they sync at any speed through fiber as the shutter itself closes faster than the strobe quenching

I just sold my LX5 and am getting a OM-D a mirrorless. With the LX5 I didn't have to be concerned about the sync speed. It appears that the OM-D syncs at 1/250 at least with the flash that is included. With my LX5 if I wanted a black background I would crank up the speed to 1/500 or even a thousand. What do you do with the OM or any DSLR to get a black background? Min aperture setting on the LX5 is f8, I suppose I could crank the lens down to f11 or f16 to get the same, but then again I will need more strobe power to compensate.

Boy am I jealous... wish I was able to take off from work but if I don't go to work, I don't get paid. :)

Scott... you're pics are always awesome so I can't wait to see the ones from this trip!!

I'm self employed too. And i don't get paid when im out playing. More important than making money is enjoying yourself, what good is money if you don't have fun

---------- Post added January 24th, 2013 at 09:47 PM ----------

i just started a new thread for those of us going to Anilao this April http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ti...uwpg-bluewater-april-march-palau-visayas.html

Check it out if you are going or are interested.
Ken

I'm self employed too. And i don't get paid when im out playing. More important than making money is enjoying yourself, what good is money if you don't have fun

---------- Post added January 24th, 2013 at 09:47 PM ----------

Ken

I'm not self-employed and that makes a big difference on being able to take off when you want to. When I was self-employed I did a lot of traveling and having fun :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom