Getting Ready to Buy Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckdiversam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help everyone. I've been reading for a little while and I finally want to get in on the discussions. I've completed my certifications in OW and enriched air. I plan on taking the AOW after logging a few more dives. I see myself as primarily diving wrecks on the east coast. These usually are in 100' of water. I may also do things on the Gulf Coast (like the Flower Garden Bank) but that would not be the main area that I will dive. I want to buy all of my gear during the winter season and here is what i've come up with along with explanation for non-standard stuff.
All ScubaPro stuff:

MK25 1st stage with DIN connector - Going to mostly dive wrecks and shops around here primarily use DIN
A700 2nd Stage
R295 Octo
Pure-Tek Harness with 30lb lift donut wing
Aladin 2G Dive Computer
Analog Pressure Gauge

Anyone see anything wrong with this setup? Any other recommendations? I want to stay at about or less than $2000.

Sounds good to me and congrats on everything! Have fun. I lived in NYC and did a good amount of diving all over the NE US for about 10 years. Good stuff.

Don't forget that dry suit. It will increase your dive season by at least a month or more on both sides of the dive season. :) Oh, and maybe an HP 100 tank as well.

All ScubaPro stuff:
MK25 1st stage with DIN connector - Going to mostly dive wrecks and shops around here primarily use DIN
A700 2nd Stage
R295 Octo
Pure-Tek Harness with 30lb lift donut wing
Aladin 2G Dive Computer
Analog Pressure Gauge
Anyone see anything wrong with this setup?
Nope. Good set-up. Not inexpensive, but good gear. Two questions: 1) are you going with a stainless steel plate or an AL plate; 2) why two different second stages, instead of identical second stages (other than money; would you be willing to dive the R295 as your primary)?

All ScubaPro stuff:

A700 2nd Stage
R295 Octo
Almost what I dive except I opted for the S600 instead of the A700. The A700's brass body is heavier and I felt jaw fatigue after about a half hour dive using a borrowed one. I bought the S600 instead and couldn't be happier.

Albeit, the A700 looks much cooler!

If diving NY/NJ wreck charters, you may need to add in light(s), SMB/spool, and pony. Consider learning to handle the 7' long hose primary/22" bungied secondary right off the bat, especially since you're going BP/W, and I second matching your second stages.

I would also take a good hard look at how SP customer service and their Free Parts program works, and think about why that reg brand over others.

On leisure pro:
MK25 1st stage with DIN connector - Going to mostly dive wrecks and shops around here primarily use DIN - 359.00 (ok not bad but more than I'd pay for a reg that has a slightly dubious record in cold water, Many see the Mk 17 as a better choice)
A700 2nd Stage - 519.00 (wow for a second stage only that you need tools to take the cover off?)
R295 Octo (don't even see that on their site so guessing around what 250 for it?)
Pure-Tek Harness with 30lb lift donut wing 75.00 + 209.00 for the plate plus 425.00 for the wing
Aladin 2G Dive Computer 425.00
Analog Pressure Gauge 128.00
Total 2390.00

Compared to the set up I dive mostly with singles and have had under the ice

HOG D-1 cold single tank pkg - 449.99 includes 1st stage, both seconds and hoses
HOG 2 inch SPG with hose 69.99 plus 34.99 for the hose = 104.98
HOG 32 lb singles wing - 239.99
HOG SS Plate - 99.99
Harness - 59-69 depending on options so say 70 on the high side.
Total 964.95

As for the computer I use a Shearwater Predator that's a 5 gas tri mix computer. Price on it is in the 1100 range. So even with that I'm 400.00 under your SP deal.
Choose something like the Hollis DGO2 at 239.00, Dive Rite Duo at 289.00 , or Oceanic Veo 180 at 199.00 at LP now and you still have enough left over for a dry suit or pony bottle, 7 mm suit, and maybe a couple al 80 tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom