Getting started "on the cheap"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replace Hog/Edge + Tusa console with:
Used Conshelf XIV 1st & 2nd
Used Conshelf XIV 2nd (octo)
w/ BC hose & an old console
= $75 - $125 on ebay.

Parts availability is much easier with the Conshelf, plus it has been in production for a very long time. Deep performance will not be as good as the Hog, but the US Navy rates the Conshelf XIV down to 200+ depth with no issues.

I don't think a 5mm would be thick enough, nor will it last long. It'll be compressed to a 2.5mm suit after one year of diving. I crushed my Henderson Thermoprene 7mm after a year and a half of diving.

The best bargain for the money is the Deep See 2-piece 6.5mm, which you can find for about $229 new.

he specifically said NEW. There are many options we could have put out there, but his request/rules.....

used rental equipment from your local dive shop

This depends on the dive shop. Sometimes great deals can be found this way, plus earning "brownie points" with the LDS.... it is worth checking.

But sometimes the "used' equipment deals offered by dive shops are not so great... for example, selling used "rental fleet" reg sets at 60 - 70 % of full retail is not really a great deal.... this is what I had seen a couple times when I checked, but it varies with the dive shop.

Best wishes.

Also might want to include a sub section for us cold water divers where the dry suits come in or the 2-piece 7mms if you want to freeze thy butt off. As well as some basic thermals. I would kill to live in the tropics where $1000 and your set for years...

best thing ever, i love that thing...which was bought for me as present at a time when i didn't think i'll bother to take a glance at it and now i would not dive without it

as for cheap? i don't know, it depends what it is....we did get everything brand new though for warranty purposes mainly
the Genesis BCD's were the best bargain as we got 2 for the price of 1 compared to the LDS
the regulators, HOG D3 got them from the LDS as i want to have the comfort of going back to them if i have an issue with it, not have to ship it to some online store

our theory was to spend money on rentals and try out different things then go ahead and buy the one we liked as a long time commitment

You can assume rental tanks, if that helps.

HOG D1 reg 1st&2nd $180.00 (DiveRightInScuba.com)
HOG D1 second (octo) $109.95
Mask/snorkel/fins $40.00 (US Divers "snorkel package" at Walmart--full foot fins, though- some that don't like that)
NeoSport 5mm wetsuit $120.00 (wetsuitwearhouse.com)
Rubber weightbelt with 18# of weights $75.00
Neosport 7mm Booties $40.00 (wetsuitwearhouse.com)
Hyperflex 5mm Gloves $30.00 (wetsuitwearhouse.com)
Console $150.00 (Tusa 3 gauge console at leisurepro.com)
Zeagle Express Tech BCD: $269.99 (prime scuba, $279@ amazon.com)

Total........................................$1014.94

If you assume rental tanks, add in a din to yoke adapter, you would be hard pressed to get a din valve on a rental out of my LDS. Kick in another $25.

bob

The whole point of the other thread was to find out what it would cost a diver to get started with the absolute minimum amount of gear the minimalist way just to get into the water and splash around. It was a post to compare what they used to offer as a package to gert started. And the rules were only brand new stuff that you could order now, not sale stuff, not used stuff, and not free stuff from your neighbor. The used, cheap, and free would be a bonus but can't be reaslistically counted on.
I also didn't include a BC or octo because they didn't use those back in the day.
They also didn't use SPG's, but the reason I picked a console is because by the time you got a depth gauge & compass it would probably be more than a console with all three so why not? Consider it a bonus.

So my list was:

Reg, take your pick.

AL Titan 224.95
Aeris A1 169.95
Genesis Yukon 174.95
Oceanic SP5 159.95
I picked Titan because I can get parts and have rebuilt them many times. They are also tried and trued.

Jet fins 129.00 (as is, no springs)
Wetsuit - Bare 7mm one piece 250.00
Hooded vest 100.00 (LDS)
Plastic Back pack complete with harness and cam band 66.95
Console - I picked this because although it's not really bare bones minimalist it gives you an SPG, depth Gauge, and compass. Tuck it into your waistband to keep it tidy.
I found a console I liked at LP for 169.95
Watch - cheapo that will work with rotating bezel rated to 100M - 25.00 at Big 5
Mask - Oceanic shadow 80.00
or an aftermarket oval mask at my LDS (black rubber) for 39.95
5mm gloves 39.95
Booties - 59.95
weights - belt kit 24.95 - weights 16 lbs @ 3.00 lb = 48.00
tank rental 10.00
or new tank 189.00 up to 400.00

other considerations:
DRIS 100 lumen light 89.95
decent spear gun 300.00 average
or Trident polespear for 39.95
Game hook 17.95
CA fishing license 48.90
6 pack of good beer to go with that fish dinner after diving 8.99

If you wanted to add a wing we all know what those go for 199.00 up to 400.00
If you wanted to add a metal plate we all know what those go for. 79.00 up to 200.00 (Freedom Plate - sorry couldn't help it)
My list is also for someone diving in my area (Norcal) water is 47 to 53 degrees.
Your area might vary.
But for the sake of a "minimalist" configuration the first list will get a person in the water and food on the table.

I'm only going to include the new gear I bought at discount.

Aeris XR1 wrist computer - $125 (Scubatoys.com but was actually an open box demo but only used once)
Aeris XR Travel lite BC - $179 (Leisurepro.com)
Pinnacle 7 mm wetsuit - $140 (scuba.com as new gear at closeout special)
Pinnacle 4 mm Kevlar gloves - $28 (scuba.com: also may have been new gear closeout)
Body Glove 1 mm wetsuit top - $36 (clearance special at LDS)
O'Neil rash guard top - $28 (local warehouse clearance sale)

My LDS has given my anywhere from 10%-15% off most of my big ticket items such as the Zeagle BC and Atomic regulator but not necessarily cheap. Still, discount made them better than full price. At least that's what I tell me wife. She says the same thing too whenever she comes home from sales. "Look, Honey, at all the money I saved on sale!" She can't say as much when I use her own words!

My basic SCUBA set Summer 1966:

USD Calypso J - $99
Voit Skindiver set (mask, fins) - $12
Nemrod snorkel - $5
Montgomery Wards 3/16 neoprene full suit, two piece - $30
Steel 72- $30
USD backpack - $10
Grisbee Knife - $5
Bulova diver watch - $30
Healthways capillary depth gauge - $5
Healthways weight belt with four 3 pound weights - $10
Military Surplus Mae West - $5

Total under $250 (adjusted for inflation $472)

My basic SCUBA set Fall 2013:

Titan LX - eBay - $500 plus safe second - $250 (or Phoenix RAM HPR - $1500)
Atomic mask - $100
Aeris Accel Fins - <$100
Atomic Snorkel - $60
Scubapro 3/2 suit - $300
Aluminum 80 - $200
VDH Universal mini-plate - $75 (<$100 with webbing kit and cambands)
Line cutter - $10
Seiko SKX007 watch - $250
Aeris Atmos computer - $250
B&G spg- <$75
Oxy wing - $350

Total approximately $2,500 give or take.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom