Getting started "on the cheap"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most shops will get you a much better price if you buy a package.
I got my scuba pro Lighthawk, tusa 2 gauge console, and Hollis DC3 & 212 & 321 octo all for roughly $550 package. I added in a mares puck, and a slew of other gear slowly.

It's also worth noting that 5mm gloves are not comfortable. I could never use them. The dexterity with a 5mm glove is just terrible. 3mm or mitts are the way to go.

If you assume rental tanks, add in a din to yoke adapter, you would be hard pressed to get a din valve on a rental out of my LDS. Kick in another $25.

bob

The Dive Right In Scuba package price includes the DIN/Yoke adapter.

My LDS has tanks that are DIN, but they have a yoke adapter screwed into the valve assy. Very nice solution that allows DIN or Yoke connections with zero added first stage protrustion. But I would imagine this would be rare in the US.

Replace Hog/Edge + Tusa console with:
Used Conshelf XIV 1st & 2nd
Used Conshelf XIV 2nd (octo)
w/ BC hose & an old console
= $75 - $125 on ebay.

Parts availability is much easier with the Conshelf, plus it has been in production for a very long time. Deep performance will not be as good as the Hog, but the US Navy rates the Conshelf XIV down to 200+ depth with no issues.

I don't think a 5mm would be thick enough, nor will it last long. It'll be compressed to a 2.5mm suit after one year of diving. I crushed my Henderson Thermoprene 7mm after a year and a half of diving.

The best bargain for the money is the Deep See 2-piece 6.5mm, which you can find for about $229 new.
While I agree, used gear will get you much cheaper (and it's my preference) the point was to find NEW gear prices. We have plenty of threads debating new and used. As I said, I fall strongly into the used camp and don't own any new gear except wetsuits. I wanted this to be a thread for newbs who may not be comfortable with or capable of (sometimes) evaluating the quality of used gear. Hence the request for new prices.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2014 at 08:33 AM ----------

Most shops will get you a much better price if you buy a package.
I got my scuba pro Lighthawk, tusa 2 gauge console, and Hollis DC3 & 212 & 321 octo all for roughly $550 package. I added in a mares puck, and a slew of other gear slowly.

It's also worth noting that 5mm gloves are not comfortable. I could never use them. The dexterity with a 5mm glove is just terrible. 3mm or mitts are the way to go.
On the contrary, I find my 5mm gloves quite comfortable. The only issue I have with mine is getting them on for a second dive... much more difficult when they're wet. After they're on though, no problems at all.

As with everything, we have to buy what's right for us, not for people on the internet. My list was based on the list Eric put in a previous post. He included a hooded vest and 5mm suit with 7mm booties (I think) and 5mm gloves, I suspect to give a broad range of water temps with a minimum equipment purchase.

When I dive water above 50 degrees, I wear 1mm gloves that have leather palms or no gloves. When I dive colder, I go straight to my 5mm gloves. I have a set of 3mm gloves but they don't fit me as well.

I agree package deals are a generally low cost option, but I have found that I can't really get the mix and match as well that way and almost always end up with "lower end" gear for the same price. That said, I've never purchased any of this gear new (except a backplate and, as of yesterday, a wing.)

I got started last year for a little under $2000, my kit is as follows:

Aqua Lung Aeris BC

Suunto Zoop with console

Henderson 7mm wetsuit/hood/gloves

Scuba pro Jet Max Fins (bought at discount through local shop)

Off brand mask/snorkel

About 30 something dives later I'm still very pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got started last year for a little under $2000, my kit is as follows:

Aqua Lung Aeris BC

Suunto Zoop with console

Henderson 7mm wetsuit/hood/gloves

Scuba pro Jet Max Fins (bought at discount through local shop)

Off brand mask/snorkel

About 30 something dives later I'm still very pleased!

I think we may have different definitions of "on the cheap". I appreciate your input, though. It's always good for people to see different options.

Haha I can see why, but honestly I wanted good gear that'll last for a long time so I won't have to purchase again. Goodluck in your search!

Eric's post about minimalist diving sort of morphed into a cheap gear discussion but I thought I'd make a new thread asking people what "cheap" gear they've found and would recommend as decent start-up kits for us newbs. Below is the list I came up with based upon Eric's. Some of this wouldn't be necessary for warm-water diving and certainly wouldn't be enough for cold water diving, but it's a good all-purpose "getting started" list.

I don't want this to be an argument on new versus used or some BS "isn't your life worth it" marketing hype saying cheap is bad. We can save those discussions for elsewhere, if possible.

Box of used equipment from an elderly gentleman who stopped diving: Free.

Service ~$100

It worked just fine. I replaced it with nicer stuff over the years, as money became available.

I'd be willing to bet that a sign that says "Just certified, no money. Looking for free/cheap SCUBA equipment" posted on the bulletin board in a grocery store frequented by retired people would get a whole bunch of action.

The world is full of really good stuff that's hardly ever been used.

None of it is life support for me, because I paid attention in class. There's absolutely nothing that goes with you on a no-deco dive that can't be replaced by heading for the surface.

flots.

Haha I can see why, but honestly I wanted good gear that'll last for a long time so I won't have to purchase again. Goodluck in your search!

I'm not searching but I'd like to comment on the quoted sentence.

ANY new gear you buy today is going to last longer than you're likely to dive if you service it properly and there's very little difference in performance (quality) from the low end to high end price options.

Your ~$2k price tag doesn't even include regs, while my ~$1k price tag does include regs that are comparable to, if not some of, the best on the market by most accounts.

Personally, I bought all used gear, some of which is older than me, and it works great. I wanted this thread to be less about used and more about new, though because I see all the time people preaching stuff about how expensive this sport is and how difficult it is to get started. I personally got started for less than $1k including the cost of my OW course, but even if I had bought the new gear I listed I would have been right at $1500 including my training course.

It's all relative to your own personal budget and comfort level but I strongly disagree with the assertion that this has to be an "expensive" hobby.

2nd hand rules also here in Australia we seem to pay overly inflated prices compared with the US. Anyway.

I got a 2nd hand Uwatec SmartZ for $400
My tanks Faber steel 10.5lt $180 for 2. Spent $100 getting them tested etc so $280 for 2 tanks is extremely cheap for Aus.
Regs wet suit fins mask I bought new.

On the contrary, I find my 5mm gloves quite comfortable. The only issue I have with mine is getting them on for a second dive... much more difficult when they're wet. After they're on though, no problems at all.

As with everything, we have to buy what's right for us, not for people on the internet. My list was based on the list Eric put in a previous post. He included a hooded vest and 5mm suit with 7mm booties (I think) and 5mm gloves, I suspect to give a broad range of water temps with a minimum equipment purchase.

When I dive water above 50 degrees, I wear 1mm gloves that have leather palms or no gloves. When I dive colder, I go straight to my 5mm gloves. I have a set of 3mm gloves but they don't fit me as well.

I agree package deals are a generally low cost option, but I have found that I can't really get the mix and match as well that way and almost always end up with "lower end" gear for the same price. That said, I've never purchased any of this gear new (except a backplate and, as of yesterday, a wing.)
Sure to each their own. I just don't feel like i have much dexterity with em.
Call shops up, they'll put together packages for just about whatever you want. I picked the regs, and bc. I got a similar package with my gf with a substituted vest style bc, no hassle. Best way to get the gear you want for not a lot of money.
Obviously that price didn't include fins, mask, wetsuit, weight belt, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom