Getting to Cuba from Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question is which would you rather have. The embargo lifted and hve Cuba turn into another Atlantis type resort place. Or keep the embargo and the nearly pristine reefs and keep the local feel to it, with the risk of uncle sam taking a big bite out of your wallet after your visit. I say keep it the way it is and let the people with the Cojones(not neccesarily me) to visit get the rewards.

Jaronoff:
I dont know. I've heard people go there, I just wanted to know if there are repercussions for going there.

As far as I know the only way they'd have proof that you went there is from your passport. I believe you can ask the customs people when entering cuba to not stamp your passport. They'll stamp your temp visa instead. As far as repercussions here is the link to the US Treasury website where they have a document about the cuba situation: http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sanctions/cuba.txt

Here's the two important things to consider:
Criminal penalties for violating the sanctions range up to 10 years in prison, $1,000,000 in corporate fines, and $250,000 in individual fines. Civil penalties up to $55,000 per violation may also be imposed.

Unauthorized travel-related transactions: Unless otherwise authorized, any person subject to U.S. jurisdiction who engages in any travel-related transaction in Cuba violates the Regulations.

Now it seems if you were on a tour completely sponsered by a company from the caymans and you spent 0 dollars in cuba your not in violation. This is totally theoretical, I've never tried this and if you do your on your own. Remember when your in cuba your in a totally different country and you can't just go to an american embassy. I doubt that any travel insurance would cover you if you took a semi legal excursion to cuba.

Jamdiver:
I heard that Fidel's brother Raul is tipped to succeed him when he dies?

I've heard that also... also heard that Raul will most likely be overthrown as the tries to transition into being the new dictator... (but none of us can predict the future as to what will really happen....)

Any non US people here who've gone down to Cuba for vacation? how'd you like it?

Jaronoff:
My wife and I are going to Grand Cayman in January, and while I;m going to be doing some diving while i;m there... we were also interested in possibly taking a day trip to Cuba. We're american
-J

You answered your own question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard that the US is really cracking down on Cuba travel. Several people entering Cuba from Canada were caught last year and were given severe penalties. Too many really GOOD places to dive to risk it, IMHO.

Allison Finch:
I heard that the US is really cracking down on Cuba travel. Several people entering Cuba from Canada were caught last year and were given severe penalties. Too many really GOOD places to dive to risk it, IMHO.

I agree Allison.... you could do a whole lot of diving elsewhere for the $305,000.00 fine you could pay for one trip to Cuba...You could dive around the world :D Okay, here's the plan guys... go to Cozumel put on your dive gear and a set of topped off doubles, jump in and drift to Cuba, you arrive there without passport or money and make two dives... anybody have the rest of the plan? LOL :D

You know, there's a reason the embargo is still in place. Trying to figure out a way around it is dancing with treason. If George and Fidel would lighten up that entire section of the world could relax. Socially and economically.

Just my 2 bucks...

Sea ya!

Well if there is one obvious benifit to being a cold water Canadian diver, is the access to the large island to the south of Key West. The diving is great and most of the reefs I have dived are in good shape. 100 ft vis is not uncommon and the water at the end October was a cool 85 degrees.
Lots of Americans do go but they enter through Canada or Mexico and usually don't have to much problem. Passports are not stamped but flight manafests are now checked for any flight that passes over US soil.
So go through mexico and take Canadian $$$. Dive prices are very reasonable and the rum is even more reasonable.
Two weeks all inclusive at a three star air included from Calgary can be as low as 800 USD. Cuban people are very friendly and unless you make it known you will be just another Canadian to everybody other than the imigration officer when they check your passport on the way in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom