getting to fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, we have been diving mainly in the carribean since it is so much closer to the USA. We would really like to go to fiji. I have looked around on the web fors airline ticket prices,(cheap tickets, expedia ), they start at $2000.00 plus. I wanted to know if anyone knows of cheaper tickets to fiji. I am from the middle of the USA. but was hoping there was a better deal out there. I would love to go to the south pacific and see those exotic looking fish!
thanks
Lynne

lynnemari:
Hi, we have been diving mainly in the carribean since it is so much closer to the USA. We would really like to go to fiji. I have looked around on the web fors airline ticket prices,(cheap tickets, expedia ), they start at $2000.00 plus. I wanted to know if anyone knows of cheaper tickets to fiji. I am from the middle of the USA. but was hoping there was a better deal out there. I would love to go to the south pacific and see those exotic looking fish!
thanks
Lynne

The best air fares I've had to Fiji have been LA to Nadi and I've had to get to LA from the East Coast independently, but fares have never totalled even close to $2K. If you make reservations with a resort in Fiji or a travel agent specializing in travel to the South Pacific and Australia, sometimes a discounted fare is available through them. Check the Web sites of Air New Zealand and Air Pacific for low fares as well.

lynnemari:
thanks
Lynne
I just returned from Bamboo Beach Resort (BBR) in Fiji. They offered a package that included a week at the resort (meals, lodging, five two-tank dives, unlim shore diving) plus r/t airfare LA to Nadi, Fiji. The package was $2695 p/p. They would also do it without air for something like $750 less. The package makes it hard to figure what we actually paid for airfare, but if $1945 sounds reasonable for the resort ... and in that remote part of the world, that's about the going price ... then we paid $750 for the LA/Fiji air. When I started researching the trip, LA/Fiji was running about twice that through on-line reservation services, so we jumped on the package deal.

(I, too, am from the American midwest. I had to arrange my own flight from St Louis to LA, but that's a pretty mainstream flight. I think we hit it around $300. Air Pacific, which will probably be your carrier from LA to Fiji, tells you that you have to inform the agent in LA if you're making connections. Otherwise, they won't guarantee your checked bags will make the trip with you. We did that, but the agent we talked to said it wasn't necessary, and there was no hitch in the baggage transfer. Checking the bags through is definitely preferable to having to claim them and recheck them in LA.)

BBR is now defunct, but I gotta think other resorts do pretty much the same thing or they couldn't compete.

We had a marvelous time in Fiji. The coral, hard and soft, the clownfish, nudibranchs, flatworms, and amazing profusion and light at the top of the bommies was extraordinary. Not much big stuff, though: one whitetip shark and one yellow stingray all week). Be comfortable with current, and take a full complement of surface signaling devices just in case.

--Eric

lynnemari:
thanks
Lynne

Current package on Beqa Lagoon's web site,
We have different packages to suit your needs. For example, 8 days/7 Nights Package including air ticket from Los Angeles, land and boat transfers, accommodation, meals - $2,599.
www.beqalagoonresort.com/

You will not regret this,
Chuck

ECR:
I just returned from Bamboo Beach Resort (BBR) in Fiji.
<snip>
BBR is now defunct
Did you hear why? Had all of the building/renovations been completed? We stayed in July 04, not long after they reopened.

Reminded me of being back in San Francisco - bit of a climb to the bures hey :rolleyes:

We went to Fiji in June 04 and used Fiji Travel. I believe the website was www.fijitravel.com.

Tickets were $1100 a piece LAX - Nadi which was $400 off each, off the best price we found through the web. We stayed on Taveuni and did a week long sailboat charter in the Mamanucca Islands. Taveuni rained for the majority of the time. Horizontal rain. Not easy to do much in those conditions. The sailboat trip was awesome. Sailing was easy, you get a captain, first mate and excellent chef. They sail around the islands snorkeling places and hooking up with the resorts diving shops. Coming back to the boat after a dive to your own chef preparing lobster lunch was great. Prices were very close to renting mid range resort room, plus food.

http://www.tavake.info/

Fiji people are fantastic. Most are very friendly and happy. Big Bula to them if you go. Bula = hello.

Diving was great in 5MM suits for us.

lynnemari:
thanks
Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I was in Fiji last June and got my tickets (LAX-NAN) for $875 return. A lot of the larger resorts offer discounted fares, if you subtract the published rates you usually end up with something around $800. I'm assuming the 2K you quoted was for the two of you, so that's not far off what you'll find if you shop around. Fiji can be as expensive or as cheap a place to dive as you like, it all depends on what amenities you want. If you reply with more details I'd be happy to help out. FWIW, I'm not a travel agent...but everyone I know keeps telling me I'd be a great one :)

-globetrotter

P.S. - try skyauctions.com for some great potential deals. A search for "Fiji" or "pacific" usually returns some good airfares and packages. Be aware of the additional fees they charge and of course it *is* an auction site so beware of people trying to drive up the price...

Scubaroo:
Did you hear why?
Not a word about why or what was to become of the resort. Occupancy rate had been very low ... two straight weeks with NO ONE there, then our week a total of 10 people. The day we left, they had 21 coming in.

Scubaroo:
Had all of the building/renovations been completed? We stayed in July 04, not long after they reopened.
I had heard about the ongoing construction last year, and inquired about it before reserving. Was assured it was completed, and it seemed like all the heavy construction was done when we were there. There were signs of minor maintenance projects in some of the bures when we came in from diving. Just workmen coming and going; there was never any noise or dust.

Scubaroo:
Reminded me of being back in San Francisco - bit of a climb to the bures hey
You know, I didn't mind the climb ... except for the day I had to walk back down to the boat three times because I forgot stuff. The last trip was a real emergency -- I had left my corkscrew in my save-a-dive kit.

I'll be posting a trip report before long, but bottom line ... I'm really sorry to see the place fail. While there was room for improvement, everyone on the staff was delightful -- friendly, hard-working, and eager to please. I hope they all find good jobs elsewhere.

--Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom