Girls in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwim:
OK, so is this like the Navy Seals? My wife and I are in the June DIRF class in Gilboa and she wonders if she'll be the only chick. The cool thing is that she thinks that she's the only one with the ambition and she sees it as a challenge.
Actually Chris, yes...the class will be exactly like the Navy Seals...push-ups, pull-ups, running w/logs on your shoulders...in the sand....a lot of near drowning going on....escape and evasion training...it'll only toughen her up. Tell her to get going on the running and swimming right now...because "chollie" don't care if you're a boy or a girl...all he care 'bout is killin'...(my best Major Payne imitation).
On a serious note....we have had females in every class. We have also had female instructors (Sonya) come in to help out as well. I would also say that as a "general" rule, I feel that the ladies do very well and I would attribute that to a much better attitude towards leanring and not taking criticism as a blow to their ego. Physically speaking, as long as the diver is comfortable wearing the weight of the equipment, there is no "physical" aspect of the course that will challenge them extraordinarily.
Basically, the course is the most fun you'll ever have in the water...

dive safe!---brando

BCS:
Actually Chris, yes...the class will be exactly like the Navy Seals...push-ups, pull-ups, running w/logs on your shoulders...in the sand....a lot of near drowning going on....escape and evasion training...it'll only toughen her up. Tell her to get going on the running and swimming right now...because "chollie" don't care if you're a boy or a girl...all he care 'bout is killin'...(my best Major Payne imitation).
On a serious note....we have had females in every class. We have also had female instructors (Sonya) come in to help out as well. I would also say that as a "general" rule, I feel that the ladies do very well and I would attribute that to a much better attitude towards leanring and not taking criticism as a blow to their ego. Physically speaking, as long as the diver is comfortable wearing the weight of the equipment, there is no "physical" aspect of the course that will challenge them extraordinarily.
Basically, the course is the most fun you'll ever have in the water...

dive safe!---brando

Thanks Brando, then maybe I can drop her morning run down to 10mi from 15 while I follow in the car shouting dubious words of encouragement. :wink:

By the way, I just saw the X-Scooter video you were telling me about. Very very cool, sign us up for two.
C

Schwim:
Thanks Brando, then maybe I can drop her morning run down to 10mi from 15 while I follow in the car shouting dubious words of encouragement. :wink:

By the way, I just saw the X-Scooter video you were telling me about. Very very cool, sign us up for two.
C
only two?? :D
actually, driving a scooter is the most fun you'll ever have in the water...
the second most fun is the DIRf class! :wink:

b.

jonnythan:
There's Sonya Tittle as well.
Sonya was my fundies instructor, and Laurynn Evans was the videographer. The only guys involved were the helper/DM (RJ) and the students. Sonya is a very nice person and one heck of a diver. I'm sorry she moved away before I had an opportunity to dive with here more.

Jimmie

I'm thinking about signing up for a fundies class later this year myself. I have to save up for it first.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom