Give me a little Homework

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
I don't use filters like that much - maybe to accentuate a highlight like an eye. Mainly I use clone stamp to remove backscatter and do a bit of levels work to bring out lost colours.

One great thing about CS is the healing brush. I don't use elements, so I'm not sure if it can do this also, but it's a great tool for removing backscatter.

JeffG:
and all that can be done later. The point I was trying to make is that Catherine doesn't need to purchase anything right now. There are lots of "nice to haves", but if you don't have good raw material, your still going to end up with $%#$. So as far as her course goes...new software should be after the class IMO.
Yes I can see that and you are correct - the better RAW file you have to start with the better the end product. I was only responding to her query about CS2 which is rather unnecessary IMO. What she is doing (a class) will still produce pictures that need evaluating though, and Elements is a fine tool for that to be able to view what you have in a large size immediately. It doesn't have to cost a penny either as the try-out is the full version free for a month. Actually I believe you can also download CS2 full version as a try-out for a month as well. Adobe has always been good like that.

Another great thing about CS2 is the non-destructive editing. I'm just learning the program but it works well. You're right about the healing brush Warren I use it a lot.

My .02
I use CS2 every day. It is a rather complex program with a great deal to learn. In Catherine's case she has seven months to work with it. In those months she may be able to take a PS workshop or two that will enhance her learning curve while in Bali. If the class is going to use it as the defacto program, then by all means spend time with it before hand. One less thing to learn, when she will be given a mind bending amount of other info that will invariably change and enhance her visual skills. Not working with it before hand is sort of like saying "Don't worry about your bouyancy skills. We'll teach you how to dive too." She should task load in the areas that she can't teach herself and the more advanced skills. One of those areas is creative and to a certain degree u/w lighting. If she has the basic skills down on CS2 - then topside and U/W she can be pushed in new areas.

Do you need CS2 to be a good photographer? No. When I started out as an advertising photographer, people would spend hours retouching a dye transfer print vs. now being able to do it in a matter of moments in PS. It used to be that a computer was only used for billing. Now as a pro, I have much more on my plate. It used to be that I only needed to be able to come up with a creative solution to a visual problem. Now I do that, plus I'm my own photo lab, data baser, stock photo house etc...

Where Catherine is at with her photography is at the steps of being a pro. CS2, a good computer, and a well thought out data management plan will save her time and money down the road.

Catherine - I don't mean to sound insulting, but if I were to compare you photography skills with diving I would say that you want to become a cave diver. You have many of the skills already and some of the gear. To become a pro photographer, you will need to get DIR-f'd. So some new equipment, some new skill sets, some business knowledge, some computer knowledge, some archival storage knowledge and you will be well ahead and on your way.

I just like to thank you OE2X for the CS2 tips. That's one of the great things about SB. You have access to professionals like OE2X that will go out of their way to give you a hand and some great tips. I'm learning this program and it sure helps the climb up the learning curve to know a few short cuts that make your photos better than you ever thought they could be.
Dennis

OE2X:
In Catherine's case she has seven months to work with it. In those months she may be able to take a PS workshop or two that will enhance her learning curve while in Bali. If the class is going to use it as the defacto program, then by all means spend time with it before hand. One less thing to learn, when she will be given a mind bending amount of other info that will invariably change and enhance her visual skills. Not working with it before hand is sort of like saying "Don't worry about your bouyancy skills. We'll teach you how to dive too." She should task load in the areas that she can't teach herself and are more advanced skills.

Now there is the best advice yet!!

As a UW photo instructor I can tell you that the more you know before the class there more you will get from the class. Why go all the way to Bali - or even Maui :wink: - and pay someone to teach you the basics that you can learn yourself. The more familiar you are with PS, any version, there more you will get from your class - by far. Same goes for your camera. Why pay a pro to teach you what the first chapter in your camera manual can? Save the time with the pro for the knowledge only he can teach you.

Hey Dennis you are more than welcome. It has been a pleasure. Let me know how the tip works with the raw files.

A thought:
Instead of praise, lets just go diving sometime...

Back
Top Bottom